#1 Ric Kemp

Ric Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Director

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

hi,

noticed an Elmo GP-E projector up for grabs a while ago, with a variable speed control, so was interested to acquire it, and convert it for ciné-dv transfer. i had presumed it would have 'pots' or potentiometers to alter the speed but i was wrong. when i looked inside what do i find but another speed rheostat - similar but smaller to my Chinon 'IQ' variable speed control. darn, have yet to get to grips with a pot :( never mind - the Chinon can jump the film so i have high hopes this Elmo with give me a smoother run for my money

the rheostat is much easier to get at than the Chinon, which was practically molded into the metal casing, so things are getting off to a good start (hope)

does anyone have any experience of this particular model please?

thanks

Ric

#2 Ric Kemp

Ric Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

hi,

noticed an Elmo GP-E projector up for grabs a while ago, with a variable speed control, so was interested to acquire it, and convert it for ciné-dv transfer. i had presumed it would have 'pots' or potentiometers to alter the speed but i was wrong. when i looked inside what do i find but another speed rheostat - similar but smaller to my Chinon 'IQ' variable speed control. darn, have yet to get to grips with a pot :( never mind - the Chinon can jump the film so i have high hopes this Elmo with give me a smoother run for my money

the rheostat is much easier to get at than the Chinon, which was practically molded into the metal casing, so things are getting off to a good start (hope)

does anyone have any experience of this particular model please?

bump

i film at 18fps. the variable speed on this 3 blade projector is 14-24fps, so i thought no worries searching for 16.67fps. But the least amount of flicker - on my mini dv lcd - occurs at the full 24fps setting

how is this so please, if the (universal dv?) default shutter speed on the dv cam is 1/50th sec, that ought to match 3x 16.67 precisely? this is weird. has this got something to do with 25 fps PAL, so that the projector is actually trying (and almost succeeding) to match the 25 frame rate?

so what happened to the mini dv cam 1/50 shutter speed?

well confused!

:huh:

R

#3 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

bump

i film at 18fps. the variable speed on this 3 blade projector is 14-24fps, so i thought no worries searching for 16.67fps. But the least amount of flicker - on my mini dv lcd - occurs at the full 24fps setting

how is this so please, if the (universal dv?) default shutter speed on the dv cam is 1/50th sec, that ought to match 3x 16.67 precisely? this is weird. has this got something to do with 25 fps PAL, so that the projector is actually trying (and almost succeeding) to match the 25 frame rate?

so what happened to the mini dv cam 1/50 shutter speed?

well confused!

:huh:

R

Riddle me this!! B)

Help fill this equation by mentioning the model DV cam you're using.

CineTape

Opal

Abel Cine

CineLab

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks