Colin Theys
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director
  • Connecticut / New York

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be shooting a quick project in an abandoned old municipal building. It's got a great, decayed old look, but the walls were all painted white back in day and the rooms are a bit small to easily control spill well. All the white makes me unhappy.
I'm trying to think of a way short of painting everything to make the walls darker without completely destroying the aged texture and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with such situations that might give me any new ideas. I was thinking of getting my hands on a paint sprayer and blasting everything with a thin coat of watered down dark paint or stain of some kind. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Colin

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:03 AM

The only ways that I know of dealing with your problem are two: painting the set's walls before you shoot or doing it digitally after the fact. It usually is far easier -and cheaper- to do the former than the latter. All of the 10 plus features I have been part of have done it that way - and if they can't afford to paint the walls of the set, a new set with non-white walls is found.

#3 Colin Theys

Colin Theys
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director
  • Connecticut / New York

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

The only ways that I know of dealing with your problem are two: painting the set's walls before you shoot or doing it digitally after the fact. It usually is far easier -and cheaper- to do the former than the latter. All of the 10 plus features I have been part of have done it that way - and if they can't afford to paint the walls of the set, a new set with non-white walls is found.

Hey,

I'm afraid that we're going to have to end up painting, but I'm trying to find a way around it, not because we can't afford it, but because the existing place already looks so great. We're trying to create exactly what we've already got... but not so bright. If we painted, the walls would look new and we'd have to go through and mess them all up from scratch, while we have a beautiful array of stains, scratches, graffitti, burns, etc. already in place that I would love to keep if possible.

Thanks,
-Colin

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

Easy.. increase your Key to Fill ratio...

Light to a much higher Stop and cut it where you want the walls darker... even Black!

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Easy.. increase your Key to Fill ratio...

Light to a much higher Stop and cut it where you want the walls darker... even Black!

This is a good answer. It is MUCH easier if the walls are something other than white, though. With white walls it is possible, but difficult and time consuming.

I would save yourself the headache and paint the walls. You can use cheapo paint, it all looks the same on camera.

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Opal

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC