Nick Cutway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:21 PM

I am about to graduate from film school in april 09. I have dp'd on many short hdv films and on a 16mm short. We are going into our final project which will be shot on 35mm next month. I am currently living in florida but plan to move to los angeles, ny, or wherever I can find jobs. What are the best ways to get my foot in the door? Im willing to do any job just to be on set. I learned more from my last 16mm project in that one week than I have in the last year and a half at school. I really want to know how to find productions and or companies to start at and entry level.

thanks,
-nick

#2 Sunday Banks

Sunday Banks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student
  • Long Island, NY ~ Phila, PA

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

I am about to graduate from film school in april 09. I have dp'd on many short hdv films and on a 16mm short. We are going into our final project which will be shot on 35mm next month. I am currently living in florida but plan to move to los angeles, ny, or wherever I can find jobs. What are the best ways to get my foot in the door? Im willing to do any job just to be on set. I learned more from my last 16mm project in that one week than I have in the last year and a half at school. I really want to know how to find productions and or companies to start at and entry level.

thanks,
-nick

I've been going on craigslist.com and mandy.com. Seems to be the easiest way to get work.

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hey Nick!

You're asking that question at a good time... before you graduate!

While you're still in school, dedicate some time to volunteering or getting an internship with someone who works professionally near you. Look for independent production companies or special projects that might be shooting near you. Don't worry if they aren't scripted or aren't "movies." Just get out there and start meeting people. Odds are that someone you know or work with will know someone who is out here in LA or works in the movie business. Ask EVERYONE you know. Seriously, contacts can come from the most unlikely places. Start shooting anything for anybody. This helps you build a reel and gets your name out there as a "real" Cameraman instead of just being a newly graduated student.

Then you have a decision to make for yourself. You can either A) start at the bottom of the Camera Department route and work your way up, or B ) put yourself out there as a DP and learn as you go. There are pluses and minuses to both approaches and you have to choose what is best for you and what you want your life to be like. There are no guarantees either way. What is for certain is that you won't just "get a job" based on a degree and a couple of student films. There are a lot of people who are more than qualified to shoot major feature films, but it is a combination of their skills plus "who they know" which secures work and a viable career.

There are a lot of opinions about all of this scattered throughout this forum and a lot more information and details about all of this available in What I Really Want To Do: On Set in Hollywood which was written specifically for aspiring filmmakers like you. :)

#4 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

"Im willing to do any job just to be on set."

You are half the way there. Work, work, learn, learn. Do what you can, focus on what you want. It will be fun at times, and more frustrating at others. Don't expect to have some sort of footing until you have worked for at least eight years. You will not be a DP in the real world when you graduate. So find a place and look for opportunities to work in the camera department if you want to work behind the camera. Your resume means little right now as you hav worked on college projects. Now translate that into real-world work. Shoot all you can for friends or others doing projects. Build a reel. Fine tune your eye. Be more interested than anyoen else. SHow dedication. Meet and make an impression on as many people as you can. That is a good start.

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

thanks,
-nick

As usual it pains me to see this type of question on the forum. Do these film schools not offer the students any thing in terms of job search techniques? Isn't there a built in network of previous graduates who will help the next batch coming out?

Every film school should have an entire semester course dedicated to just this issue. I'm sure it would be the MOST valuable course any film student ever takes.

Aside from that, dito the sage advice of the other pros here.

R,

#6 Nick Cutway

Nick Cutway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

As usual it pains me to see this type of question on the forum. Do these film schools not offer the students any thing in terms of job search techniques? Isn't there a built in network of previous graduates who will help the next batch coming out?

Every film school should have an entire semester course dedicated to just this issue. I'm sure it would be the MOST valuable course any film student ever takes.

Aside from that, dito the sage advice of the other pros here.

R,

Richard, We do have a career development faculty, but we also have 120,000+ people a year who go through the same program I am. Chances are if everyone was landed a job there wouldn't be anything available. I've talked to my counselor and he doesn't necessarily give you a job he more so taught me how to write a resume, act during an interview, edit my demo reel, tell me to get an online presence, and just to network. But i will get a list of companies to the designated cities, in a couple of months, I plan on moving to and visiting after I graduate.

-nick

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Visual Products