#1 Hiroki Sugiyama

Hiroki Sugiyama

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

I directed a series of spec commercials this weekend and I would like to hear some opinions.
The project was shot on EX1 with Letus35 and DP-ed by my good friend Jess Dunlap. We are both students from Emerson College.

Here is the link to one of the commercials.
http://homepage.mac....yama/paint.html

This is going to be my showreel for job interviews since I am graduating by December... so please critique my work.

Best Regards,

Hiroki Sugiyama

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

Good start. Nice use of colors. Some of the shots with the Letus are not set up well so there is obvious portholing and more circular blurs than a sense of depth of field. Overall the piece didn't move me, but you are young so refined technique will come with age.

Good Luck!!

#3 Hiroki Sugiyama

Hiroki Sugiyama

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

Good start. Nice use of colors. Some of the shots with the Letus are not set up well so there is obvious portholing and more circular blurs than a sense of depth of field. Overall the piece didn't move me, but you are young so refined technique will come with age.

Good Luck!!

Thank you for your response. I did actually notice the potholing on the edge in some of the footage and I decided to add vignette effects in post, which I think resulted in the "more circular blurs than a sense of depth of field" that you are talking about. I will try to reduce the use of effects to maintain the balance.

Also, I am curious to hear what didn't "move" you, since I would like to get into directing more commercials. Is it the content that doesn't move you, or more of technical issues that I had? If you can give me any suggestion to improve the piece, I would really appreciate it.

Metropolis Post

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc