Day for night interior scene, with moonlight effect?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Matti Poutanen

Matti Poutanen
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hello!

I'm gaffing a short movie later this month where I have night time scenes in location (INT). The location is an attic in fourth floor, so tenting windows would be extremely difficult, so ND seems to be the solution.

I have access to a condor-type lift, so I´m able to light from outside. I have two 4kW HMI Arris which I´m planning to use as my moonlight. Due actor scheduling we're shooting the night stuff in daytime.

The window (which is, thank god, a very small one) will be visible in several shots. So my question is: after gelling the window with ND, will my two 4kW´s have enough punch to light through the ND, and give me some hard moonlight effects? Any alternative ideas of getting the moonlight feel during daytime? Of course the "night" will be augmented with smaller fixtures inside the set. My main concern are wide shots, where the window and the set where to moonlight will fall, are visible simultaneously.

I've attached a picture outside and inside the location to give you guys better sense of geography of the location. The window in question is the round one.

Thanks,

-matti

Attached Images

• pic.jpg

#2 Kiarash Sadigh

Kiarash Sadigh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

You should look up a post from a couple of weeks ago called "gelling windows for DFN" there are a lot of interesting comments there...good luck!

#3 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

Why are you using ND gels ? Perhaps a blue gel outside of the window would be a better option

#4 Kiarash Sadigh

Kiarash Sadigh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

Why are you using ND gels ? Perhaps a blue gel outside of the window would be a better option

Daylight is already rendered blue if you're shooting for tungsten inside (which is the case in majority of shooting scenarios) ...you don't need to add more blue, you just need to bring the intensity down

#5 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Whoops sorry, missed the HMI's

#6 being shashank

being shashank

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • mumbai /hyderabad

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hello!

I'm gaffing a short movie later this month where I have night time scenes in location (INT). The location is an attic in fourth floor, so tenting windows would be extremely difficult, so ND seems to be the solution.

I have access to a condor-type lift, so I´m able to light from outside. I have two 4kW HMI Arris which I´m planning to use as my moonlight. Due actor scheduling we're shooting the night stuff in daytime.

The window (which is, thank god, a very small one) will be visible in several shots. So my question is: after gelling the window with ND, will my two 4kW´s have enough punch to light through the ND, and give me some hard moonlight effects? Any alternative ideas of getting the moonlight feel during daytime? Of course the "night" will be augmented with smaller fixtures inside the set. My main concern are wide shots, where the window and the set where to moonlight will fall, are visible simultaneously.

I've attached a picture outside and inside the location to give you guys better sense of geography of the location. The window in question is the round one.

Thanks,

-matti

Technodolly

The Slider

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Glidecam