Serious Advice Needed, Student Film, Questions....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Elrod

Derek Elrod
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

I am making a 3 to 10 minute film (very short film for that matter) for a class. It will be played for everyone to see. The only real rule she gave us for this project is that we cannot use any dialogue. I'm going to do a horror sequence and add a horror film score etc. I'm still coming up with the storyboard stuff, and I haven't done too much with the storyboard as of yet.

Here's what I'm using...
Camera: Panasonic HDC-SD9 (which uses HD 1920x1080p, and the codec is AVCHD)

Software:
I have access to Final Cut Pro 6 as well as iDVD and iMovie.
I also have access to a computer running Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, Adobe After Effects CS3, and Adobe Encore CS3.

Theater: It plays off a DVD/HDDVD player onto a huge digital projector with 5.1 surround sound.

I know that Adobe does not have native support for AVCHD, but Final Cut works with that format just fine.

1.) What is the most effective way to quickly create the most professional looking (and sounding) movie possible?
2.) Is there a way for me to burn an HDDVD of this project?
3.) How can I mix this project for surround sound if I only have stereo speakers and headphones?
4.) What is the best way to edit this? What software? I want to do awesome titles with all sorts of Hollywood style effects to the letters and motion, yet I don't think Final Cut is conducive to this (or am I wrong?)
5.) Overall, what advice can you give me on how to accomplish this?

#2 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

FCP would be the editing platform to use. DVD Studio Pro can burn HD DVD's, its just an option you click. With that short of a film, it should fit on a normal DVD.

After Effects is where to go to do your "hollywood graphics". If you don't know the program (there is a learning curve) Livetype or Motion might be easier.

As far as trying to mix 5.1 without being able to monitor 5.1, you might be in trouble. Perhaps you can find someone with a home setup you could borrow?

You should be able to get a decent results as far as showing it. Now all you have to worry about is actually MAKING the movie!

Good luck!

#3 Derek Elrod

Derek Elrod
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

FCP would be the editing platform to use. DVD Studio Pro can burn HD DVD's, its just an option you click. With that short of a film, it should fit on a normal DVD.

After Effects is where to go to do your "hollywood graphics". If you don't know the program (there is a learning curve) Livetype or Motion might be easier.

As far as trying to mix 5.1 without being able to monitor 5.1, you might be in trouble. Perhaps you can find someone with a home setup you could borrow?

You should be able to get a decent results as far as showing it. Now all you have to worry about is actually MAKING the movie!

Good luck!

Thanks for your input Chad.

This camera seems to shoot in 16x9, but I want to shoot it in typical hollywood aspect ratio of 1.85 to 1 or whatever Hollywood uses. How do I do this?

#4 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

You would have to mask off your monitors and viewfinder while shooting so that your know what you're composing, and then mask/crop the image in post. Bear in mind that this will decrease your resolution which might not be wise since you are projecting.

#5 Derek Elrod

Derek Elrod
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Okay. What about storyboarding? Is there good software for storyboarding since I am a horrible drawer...?

And how can I turn digital HD footage to make it look like it was shot on film? Are there any effects in Final Cut Pro that can do this? I already used the 24p mode when getting the "B roll" footage that I went out and got today.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Opal

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Visual Products