6 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Porto

Daniel Porto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

Everyone has heard that old saying that we learn something new everyday.

But what about cinematographers like Roger Deakins??? What does he learn??

Post below, something recently that you have learnt (to do with film and tv for all you smartarses out there!)

I am particularly interested in the responses of those that have been in the industry for while...

#2 Daniel Porto

Daniel Porto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

I forgot that everyone already knew EVERYTHING

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:51 PM

There's the big and the small on every show in terms of what you learn -- I'm sure that Roger felt he was learning something new when he did his first D.I., but there is also the general problem-solving that happens on every shoot.

And often you're momentarily stuck for a solution on something as mundane as to where to place the key light for a scene, or how to hide it in an ambitious camera move.

I just had to shoot a scene in a tent of parachute material with moving cloud patterns projected on it, a scene set during a theatrical show on a set representing Heaven. I had to figure out what sort of projectors to use (ended up with 2K scenic projectors with moving metal slides) and how to get the space between the cloud patterns to be blue, not black (ended up bouncing an uncorrected HMI on the white wall outside the tent.) Not to mention how to light the people inside the tent.

And before this project, I shot two RED features, which required some learning. And this current show is my first Genesis project. So there is always something new to learn.

#4 Steward

Steward
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

In today's technologies climate, there seems to be a new format or codec for processing, evolving daily. You have to learn something everyday... or risk falling behind an ever increasing competition.

#5 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:35 PM

No human could ever stop learning, even if one tried very hard. The notion that knowledge and experience are finite in ANY field is, er, limiting.

Just ask any Nobel prize scientist if now he or she can just relax, having reached the end of their learning journey. Very likely, they would say that they just really started learning, and rightly so.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

Actually if one stopped learning, one would ironically be learning to stop learning. . .

Today I learned that the Letus 35 adapter can be a good friend or a horrible enemy, depending on the shot. I also learned how much I miss shooting film. . .

#7 Young Kim

Young Kim

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

We are faced with new and different challenges everyday. There is no possible way to have the same situation every shoot or every set. Even though it may be the same camera and set up it could be different people you are working with.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport