wolfgang haak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • London, UK

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new little project in a couple of months, my "serious" project on film. I'm planning to shoot mainly on a Nizo 4080. which I will get in about a months time. The script is still in the muddle middle of progress, but it looks a few shots will need a couple of filters. To my knowledge the lens has SLR style threat for screw in filters, but I was wondering if I should splash out on a matte box instead.
What is your experience?
And If matte, which ones can you recommend? Nizo/EWA/...
What's a good source for filters?

All help and tips much appreciated!

regards,
Wolfgang

#2 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

I always go for a mattebox so that you can control your light a bit more (if you're using flags and doors). Any kind would work fine as long as it has at least two filter holders. If it has two (or more) filter holders one of them will be rotating for your grads and such.

As for filters, go to a rental house and ask if they have any that they're about to throw away, if they do they'll give them to you for free.

Hope that helps :) .

#3 wolfgang haak

wolfgang haak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • London, UK

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

I always go for a mattebox so that you can control your light a bit more (if you're using flags and doors). Any kind would work fine as long as it has at least two filter holders. If it has two (or more) filter holders one of them will be rotating for your grads and such.

As for filters, go to a rental house and ask if they have any that they're about to throw away, if they do they'll give them to you for free.

Hope that helps :) .

Steve,

Good tip with the rental houses... hope you live nowhere near me so there are some left by the time I make my rounds.. ;)

Since I don't have camera here yet, what are typical connector/fitting issues?
(i.e. what other then lens diameter do I need to take into account to make sure the box is going to fit? The manual that I found says the lens thread diameter is 67mm)
Would you recommend anything in particular? This is really not my area of expertise...

kind regards,
Wolfgang

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

You'll probably want a "lightweight" or "clip-on" mattebox. They fit with a clamp ring that just tightens onto the front of the lens. With that, you'll need an adapter ring of the right size for your lens, 67mm it sounds like.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider