• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=230299913570

This is nuts:

I can't believe the variety of inexpensive M42 compatible lenses available for the M42 K3, and I just can't stop buying.

What the hell I'm going to do with a 250mm on a 16mm cine camera is beyond me, except for nature and divorce surveillance, but for 44 bucks, I had to buy it. TOTALLY retarded since I already have a 200mm. But this guy lives in my neighborhood, so I can make the purchase over a beer.

Which means all I want now is a Russian 16mm or 20mm, and I should be good to go with the following:

8mm (Peleng), 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 135mm, 200mm, and now the 250mm.

Wait:

Now I realize I also need like an 80mm or 100mm, and if I go really nuts, a cheap 400mm.

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:49 AM

Which means all I want now is a Russian 16mm or 20mm, and I should be good to go with the following:

8mm (Peleng), 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 135mm, 200mm, and now the 250mm.

Wait:

Now I realize I also need like an 80mm or 100mm, and if I go really nuts, a cheap 400mm.

Hi Ira,

nice set. But you could try to get both the 16 and the 20 IMO as well as the 80 and the 100, the 400mm isn't that important. I'd fill those gaps if you can do it for cheap. It's nice to have the right lens for the job when it comes... ;)

Cheers, Dave

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

You're right, Dave. I know I'm going to wind up needing the 16 and 20 the most. And even for nature work, the 250 gives me a lot of power on a K-3.

I've had my camera for just a few months now, and as I drive around where I live in South Florida (including the Everglades), I spot scenes to shoot and the places I can actually set up to do it. So I now understand that just a few mm difference in focal length makes a world of difference in what you can accomplish.

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

You're right, Dave. I know I'm going to wind up needing the 16 and 20 the most.

I use the Kiev 16 quite a bit with excellent results. I've been looking for a reasonably priced 20mm Takumar but they seem hard to find.

With somewhat stationary objects and a tripod, the Pentax 50mm Super Takumar is wonderful. Extremely sharp and fast. Shot some b&w a few years ago with it and I still refer back to those shots for sharpness.

#5 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:19 AM

Kiev 16? I haven't come across that one on eBay.

I see the Zenitar 16 for $260 (ouch), and the MIR 10 for $120, which is a bit easier to swallow.

Guess I'll wait, and if I find myself needing that range, I'll pull out the zoom.

#6 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

You're right... Zenitar 16mm 2.8. I must have been thinking of another lens.

Only advantages over the stock lens is that it covers the S16 area completely while the stock lens at 17mm doesn't... you need to go to about 22mm for it to cover without corners cutting off. I guess another advantage is it's size... much lighter and smaller than the Meteor lens.

I just make sure I have adapters for my Nikon SLR so I can re-purpose the lenses for multiple cameras and spread the cost around a little.

#7 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

Y
I just make sure I have adapters for my Nikon SLR so I can re-purpose the lenses for multiple cameras and spread the cost around a little.

That's my whole rationale for this 16mm foray I'm getting into:

I'm going to buy a used digital SLR body and an M42 adapter so I can mentally justify the cost of all of these lenses.

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

The Slider