#1 DerekElrod

DerekElrod

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:27 PM

I'm finishing up editing a film I made tonight and it will be played tomorrow in class.

I need some help with a few things:

1. I want to have the DVD include 2 audio options (Stereo, and 5.1). The project was edited in Stereo, but I just want to convert that 2 channel mix to play through all 6 speakers of their surround system. It's okay if the Rear Left & Rear Right channels are exactly the same as the Front Left and Front Right, but I do want to make sure that my audio does go through the subwolfer as well.

2. It was Filmed in AVCHD 1080,24p, but in Final Cut on this project I selected HDV 1080i24p. It is taking a MASSIVE amount of time to render each clip while I'm editing and playback is horrible until it renders. Should I have selected DVCPRO 1080,24p instead: would DVCPRO HD have been faster and is there a way to change my project to this setting now?

3. How do I get this HD footage to look like it was shot on film in Final Cut Pro 6, and I really need to bring out the colors and contrast. It's a horror film so I need a scary look with lots of colors, reds, blues, greens brought out. Do I do this clip-by-clip filter, or is there a way to use a filter over a whole project?

I'm using Final Cut Pro 6, and I will be burning this DVD with iDVD.

#2 Boyd McCollum

Boyd McCollum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

I'm finishing up editing a film I made tonight and it will be played tomorrow in class.

I need some help with a few things:

1. I want to have the DVD include 2 audio options (Stereo, and 5.1). The project was edited in Stereo, but I just want to convert that 2 channel mix to play through all 6 speakers of their surround system. It's okay if the Rear Left & Rear Right channels are exactly the same as the Front Left and Front Right, but I do want to make sure that my audio does go through the subwolfer as well.

2. It was Filmed in AVCHD 1080,24p, but in Final Cut on this project I selected HDV 1080i24p. It is taking a MASSIVE amount of time to render each clip while I'm editing and playback is horrible until it renders. Should I have selected DVCPRO 1080,24p instead: would DVCPRO HD have been faster and is there a way to change my project to this setting now?

3. How do I get this HD footage to look like it was shot on film in Final Cut Pro 6, and I really need to bring out the colors and contrast. It's a horror film so I need a scary look with lots of colors, reds, blues, greens brought out. Do I do this clip-by-clip filter, or is there a way to use a filter over a whole project?

I'm using Final Cut Pro 6, and I will be burning this DVD with iDVD.

You probably already have this figured out, but some quick input:

1. Check in the FCP user guide, chapter 2 under audio mixing. It should tell you how to set up your tracks to output for 5.1 (or use the search feature). The trouble you will probably run into is that, if I'm not mistaken, iDVD doesn't do surround sound. I'm not sure, but a surround system maybe able to play out a stereo track to all the speakers by default, but I've never tried it.

2. Read the HD and Broadcast Formats guide under the Tools menu. AVCHD is not supported for editing in FCP 6. It's recommended to transcode AVCHD either to Prores or AIC. Your render issue are because you're taking a nasty processor intensive not supported codec and trying to edit it with another processor intensive codec. So FCP is basically transcoding each clip you use. When you move or edit it, it has to transcode it again, etc. You should export QT movies of your footage out of FCP into a codec that edits easily, then reimport it back in. In the timeframe you have and the media you're going to (SD DVD), I'd just bring it in as DV25 and it'd be quicker at the end to make a DVD (with the MPEG2 conversion). It'll still look pretty sharp.

3. There's no "film look" filter in FCP. The film look can also be many things, but usually you get it in production and how you shoot and light your stuff and real grading on the back end. Don't forget, dp's and directors spend lots of time together to develop the look of a film before they even shoot. Doing some simple color correction and adding contrast back into your footage will help. Use the 3 Way Color Corrector for contrast and color adjustments. For time saving purposes, you can save specific filters you're going to reuse by dragging them into your favorites folder under the Effects tab in the Browser.

The most efficient workflow is edit for story, get to picture lock, then do any color correction and audio mixing.

It goes without saying that in the future you really should work out these issues well in advance and not the night before the project's due. Each of these elements can be rather time consuming on their own.

Good luck, I hope your showing goes well!

#3 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

Derek, this should be posted in the "Off-topic" forum as it has nothing to do with cinematography.

#4 Derek Elrod

Derek Elrod
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

It goes without saying that in the future you really should work out these issues well in advance and not the night before the project's due. Each of these elements can be rather time consuming on their own.

Good luck, I hope your showing goes well!

Boyd, I appreciate your response.

I was probably the earliest student to start working on this project, starting as soon as it was assigned, so starting earlier is impossible! Other students were noticing also that each clip they imported into the timeline was rendering for quite awhile and they said it was normal, this is going back a week ago or more I was told this was normal, and noticed that it was happening to others as well. I found out that the sequence settings were wrong, so I had time that night to redo it.

I finished in time with a good final product, but it didn't end up getting played during Wednesday's class, so I'm going to go back and do some re-editing and re-doing of the post production before it gets played on Monday.

I'll post future Post Production questions on another website. So sorry that I offended you Chad for being so "off topic." Letting me know that I'm off topic doesn't do a thing to help me improve my project.

Edited by Derek Elrod, 16 October 2008 - 05:00 PM.

#5 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

So sorry that I offended you Chad for being so "off topic." Letting me know that I'm off topic doesn't do a thing to help me improve my project.

Just pointing out that you are posting it in the wrong place. There are different forums for different kinds of posts. It's nothing personal, don't take it that way.

#6 DerekElrod

DerekElrod

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

Just pointing out that you are posting it in the wrong place. There are different forums for different kinds of posts. It's nothing personal, don't take it that way.

Oh ok. I took it the wrong way.

I'm trying other forums.

Thanks.

#7 Boyd McCollum

Boyd McCollum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Director
  • Boulder, CO

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

Oh ok. I took it the wrong way.

I'm trying other forums.

Thanks.

Hi Derek, I think Chad was suggesting posting in other threads on this forum - there's an Off-topic thread and an Editor's Corner Thread. Since they may not get used as often, especially when time is critical, for FCP questions you may want to check out the LA Final Cut Pro User group (lafcpug.org) or the Creative Cow. Both are very active and should get you quick answers for your FCP questions.

Btw, I'm glad you got a few extra days to work on your project. Post back to let us know how it goes.

Opal

Tai Audio

CineTape

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies