#1 Malik Sajid

Malik Sajid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Student
  • Lahore, Pakistan

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

How do you control the jerk while doing hand held operation? Whenever i do handheld there is a lot of jerk which i am not been able to control? I guess i have a problem, my hands shiver always, i mean in normal.

How one can control the jerk? Are there specific exercies or positions or techniques while doing handheld?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Shoulder mounting and practice helps. Also a heftier camera (I am assuming you're using a palm-held camera).
Also 2 hands always and I try to keep them both onto my chest for added support.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

a gentle touch on the lens/handles is key. They might shake, but its your job to prevent that motion from transfering to the lens. Also use your shoulder to compensate (if its shoulder mount) little position changes can do a lot to smooth out video, and because the muscles that control shoulder height are leveraged, you have a finer touch on your shoulder. And like anything else, practice practice practice. You will start becoming aware of why and when your will have a little shake and be able to compensate/quash that as you get better.

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, those little toy cameras aren't really designed to be used. They're just smaller and cheaper with less quality. <_<

So, the trick with any camera is to get it on your shoulder and MORE weight helps. Depending on what I'm shooting, of course, I try to stay as wide as possible to help alleviate any unnecessary movement. If I do have to push in, I will actually hold my breath as long as possible and then breath out slowly until the shot is over or falls apart.

#5 Christopher Santucci

Christopher Santucci
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buffalo, New York

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

How do you control the jerk while doing hand held operation? Whenever i do handheld there is a lot of jerk which i am not been able to control? I guess i have a problem, my hands shiver always, i mean in normal.

How one can control the jerk? Are there specific exercies or positions or techniques while doing handheld?

Yeah, you just have to relax and remember to always breath. Also, if you lengthen the distance between the 2 points of contact of the camera between your hands and shoulder, that will also smooth out your movement. Watch Pieces of April if you want to see a great example of jerky handheld work where the operator obviously shot HH shots with the camera literally in her hand.

If you increase the forward and rearmost mass of the rig, that will also dampen sudden jerky movement.

#6 Malik Sajid

Malik Sajid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Student
  • Lahore, Pakistan

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:13 AM

arrrrright..........

how can we creat steady-cam like effect(if we dont have the steady-cam) while doing handheld?

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:39 AM

lots of practice. . . though truthfully, it would be much easier, day of, just to try to find a steady-cam op for the shot. . . I personally feel the look of steadycam can't really be recreated without a steady cam. . .

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

arrrrright..........

how can we creat steady-cam like effect(if we dont have the steady-cam) while doing handheld?

You can't, it will look like handheld. With a good operator it will look like very good, smooth handheld but that's still a far cry from steadicam's look.

#9 firdaus

firdaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:29 AM

arrrrright..........

i think to minimize jerk while you handheld is sport.eg. jogging or swimming to training your breath
or you can take yoga class...in indonesia i know some DP that can handheld 535 with 1000ft mags in with very good way..sport is the answer

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

i think to minimize jerk while you handheld is sport.eg. jogging or swimming to training your breath
or you can take yoga class...in indonesia i know some DP that can handheld 535 with 1000ft mags in with very good way..sport is the answer

That may be but it won't look like steadicam. It will look like good handheld. They are different.

Also, please change your display name to your full first and last name, Firdaus. It's a forum policy.

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Ritter Battery