New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • P.A.
  • Tempe, AZ

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hello!

As a mere student and an aspiring DP, I had a couple of questions that I wrote down during one of my study sessions:

1) Do the same principles of film lighting, such as using certain filters in order to gain a proper color temperature, still apply in a digital world where one could just use a color corrector in post?

2) How do you incorporate past techniques like Silver Retention into digital film? Would one really need to?

3) How in the hell did you get where you are today? Is it just a fact of life that the only way you'll get a job (either as a PA or a camera assistant) is if you move to NYC or LA?

Any answer (crude or otherwise) is appreciated.

Brendon

#2 Ad Dlugoszewski

Ad Dlugoszewski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Sorry I'm no help really but I'm also really interested in what people say to 1). How much will the art of cinematography move from production to post?

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

1) yes they can, but normally you would just white balance. Some D-Cinema cameras, such as the Red are Daylight biased, and you get "cleaner" footage with an 85.
2) Those techniques can easily be accomplished in a proper telecine suite, or with plugins. It won't be perfect, but it's an approximation. Test shooting conditions and post workflow if you're going to do this as each plugin/camera will interact differently.
3) LUCK/DETERMINATION/Talent/Hard Work/Naivety/Hubris/Learning/luck/financial savvy/learning/honesty/LEARNING.
No you don't have to be in NYC or LA, but if you can it will surely help. I'm here in Philadelphia. It's hard being farther from the "hubs," of proper production, but you can get some shoots here and there. Some of my work is beginning to come from NYC these days and I hope it keeps up. I have toyed with the idea of going to LA, but I am terrified of loosing the network, however sparse it may at times be, that I have built up here. oh, also NETWORKING should be up there in caps too. And the whole "how" will change per person; I was born into this a bit as my dad did it before me, so. . . that got me on my first shoots when I was very young. Then I worked as a PA/Grip/Gaff and one day, went to film school and said, ok, I want to be DP and have been doing that since.
Don't think you can buy your way into it either; with cameras/equipment. It's a lot of money to throw into one thing and I always recommend buying lighting/grip instead as that's format independent and will last much longer. (and if a switch on a light dies it's pretty easy to fix... as opposed to a camera needing service...)

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Also,
I see you're in AZ Brendon. There's some work to be had, I'm told in New Mexico these days. Perhaps make friends with someone out there and crash when/if you can get on shoots in that area.

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery