Henry Weidemann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Student
  • Germany

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hey guys, I am new on this board!

I read somewhere that "Days of Heaven" by Terrence Mallick was shot almost only with natural light and that Almendros only used artificial light in some interior scenes. I wonder how he was able to create this stunning images just with natural light? Does someone of you know what kind of filters he may have used?

#2 Diego Lazo

Diego Lazo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student
  • Santiago, Chile

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

I read somewhere that "Days of Heaven" by Terrence Mallick was shot almost only with natural light and that Almendros only used artificial light in some interior scenes. I wonder how he was able to create this stunning images just with natural light? Does someone of you know what kind of filters he may have used?

If you like Almendro's creation you should read "Días de una cámara". I think the english title is "Man with a Camera". I was really inspired when I read this book at film school. "Days of Heaven" was shot almost entirely with natural light. Exteriors were shot mostly during magic hour, so the whole shoot took some time because of this. Similar thing hapenned when Malick did "The Thin Red Line" (shot by John Toll) and "The New World" (shot by Emmanuel Lubezky). I read somewhere that "The New World" was shot entirely with natural light.

Edited by Diego Lazo, 22 October 2008 - 04:12 PM.

#3 Tim Fabrizio

Tim Fabrizio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Brooklyn,NY

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

He had a kick-ass grip crew. The ultimate in a grip exercise. Brilliant.

#4 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

what do you mean "with just Natural Light" ?! :)
all that you do with articial light is only infantile approximation of what god gives you

#5 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

If you like Almendro's creation you should read "Días de una cámara". I think the english title is "Man with a Camera". I was really inspired when I read this book at film school. "Days of Heaven" was shot almost entirely with natural light. Exteriors were shot mostly during magic hour, so the whole shoot took some time because of this. Similar thing hapenned when Malick did "The Thin Red Line" (shot by John Toll) and "The New World" (shot by Emmanuel Lubezky). I read somewhere that "The New World" was shot entirely with natural light.

You are correct.

Malick does make some small exceptions here and there. The lanterns in "DoH" had bulbs inside them. And in "The New World," producers managed to talk Malick into using some artificial light in the interior scenes in the castle in England near the end of the film.

#6 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

Watch it a few times, and you can definitely see that there's a good amount of artificial lighting with the interiors. And I can only point out one exterior scene in the movie that looks like it was very much lit by archs. There's a scene with Gere & Brooke Adams laying on a grassy hill, which looks very much lit artificially.

Occasionally I'll watch it to pick it apart, but mostly I watch it just because it's a beautiful film.

#7 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

Watch it a few times, and you can definitely see that there's a good amount of artificial lighting with the interiors. And I can only point out one exterior scene in the movie that looks like it was very much lit by archs. There's a scene with Gere & Brooke Adams laying on a grassy hill, which looks very much lit artificially.

Occasionally I'll watch it to pick it apart, but mostly I watch it just because it's a beautiful film.

I'm not sure that "there's a good amount of artificial lighting with the interiors." Malick does not like artificial light. Kind of like trying to put a cat in the bathtub. Let me dig out that old AC and re-read it.

#8 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

I'm not sure that "there's a good amount of artificial lighting with the interiors." Malick does not like artificial light. Kind of like trying to put a cat in the bathtub. Let me dig out that old AC and re-read it.

Yes Badlands had no budget for lights at all !!! .. as Terry Malick thought the DP didnt use any... but that soon changed ..!!!

#9 Jason Ing

Jason Ing
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

I just watched the Academy screening of the new Days of Heaven print. The interview of cast and crew was interesting and entertaining. I believe it was said that all (or majority) of the interiors was shot by Haskel Wexler. His footage makes up half of the movie. My favorite image of the movie is actually a dark interior short when Gere is discussing with Adams whether or not she should be with Shepard.

Opal

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Visual Products

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery