IMportant ACL questions...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

Dear friends,
I am travelling on Friday into the mountains to do some Eclair ACL footage. Perhapes I have to walk a lot and in any case I have to travel by plane. Both means necessary reduction to what is esential. I have two 400ft Mags and two 200ft Mags -Do you think there´s any fifference concerning the image quality of the 400ft and 200ft Mags? Because of the laguage restrictions on most airlines, I just wanted to take the 200ft Mags with me...
Another question: How does the sync alarm work?
And a third and perhapes the most important questions: The ACL has these special filter slots behind the lens... When inserted there, the filter is VERY close to the oscillating mirror.. Is there any possibility of damaging the mirror by using these special filters? Or is any damage automatically avoided by the position of the filter slot (just looking dangerous)?
Thank you for your answers to my silly questions...

#2 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

I've never heard of any image quality difference between the different magazines. You're probably better off with the 200' magazines anyway, because in case you don't have the heavy duty motor the 400' mags may give you some trouble.

As for the sync alarm, i'm guessing you are talking about the orange light on the motor. The light will be lit up when you start to run the motor before the camera gets up to speed. Once you are synced to your chosen frame rate, the light will shut off. As for the green and red light on the side of the camera body, green is good and if it blinks red you are in trouble.

I've never heard of the gels causing any damage to anything on the camera whatsoever. However, if you choose to use the gels make sure to keep them VERY clean and do not get any fingerprints on them for they are impossible to remove.

-nicholas

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

1- I have never noticed any difference in quality between 200' and 400' mags as long as both are in good shape. Using banged up mags is never a good idea. If the camera is S16 and the mags have not been scratch tested for S16, there is a chance of film bruising or scratching, which is something to be aware of.

2- What do you mean by sync alarm? There is a light on most motors that blinks when the camera reaches sync speed and when it looses it. At or near zero C (33F) temperatures, you will need to keep the batteries warm or the camera will loose sync and the light will start flashing -as I have found out. But you may never notice by looking at the footage, unless there is actual sound that it has to sync to.

3 Some S16-modified ACL cameras have the behind-the-lens filter holder permanently disabled. In any ACL with one, the tray for the filter holder has a screw that keeps it in place, just under the c-mount porthole. Should the screw and the tray fall into the oscillating mirror mechanism as it is running, the camera would be damaged, likely without repair. One most avoid that from happening at all costs. Otherwise, a filter holder and tray that are securely fastened to the body of the camera do not pose a threat to it, but one must make sure it never becomes loose. If it does, there will be a faint rattling when the camera is running. Stop using the camera and have it serviced before using again. I never use behind-the-lens filter holders, as they are more trouble than they are worth. They have to be completely clean and scratch free for them to work properly.

Steep hiking with the ACL for long periods of time in snowy conditions is fun, 200' or 400' mags! 200' are definitely lighter. Make sure you have a padded bag to put the camera in. Also, I would definitely travel with the camera on me at all times! I would not check it under any circumstances, but that is just me. If you have a big, padded flight case the camera should stay safe, but I never let my babies out of my sight!

Happy filming!

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 19 October 2008 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

Keep the Camera with you on the plane at all costs. I'm lucky on my SR3 that I have a briefcase-case (originally for the SR1) which fits comfortably under the seat in front of me, but then I only get to carry 1 Mag (my other bag is normally a Pelican of lenses. . )
Make sure anything you do check has the proper locks on it... you never know what may happen on those conveyor belts...
I think anymore you must use these locks
http://www.tsa.gov/t...tant/locks.shtm

#5 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

Thanks to all! Great to take part in your experience. WEll, I don´t like the idea either to use the behind-the-lens-filter-holder... But I am forced to. Sone of the Angenieux zooms (the 9,5-54 and the 12,5 - 75) have no standard filter screw mount size. But with 250 D film I need to use ND filters...
I will definetely take the camera in my hand laguage. This is why I need to be very careful in choosing the equipment as you are very soon over passing the line of handlaguage limit...
REgards,
OLe

#6 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

One other option is an adjustable over the lens adapter. I have two for some old lenses I took off of my Cine 100. Since I don't have a ton of lenses and don't see that changing anytime soon, this works fine for me. My 17-68mm ANGENIEUX is a series 7 and so a series 7 filter drops in perfectly. I can use up to 3 glass ND filters by adding retainer rings, I've only ever needed 2 though. The other two lenses, I put on a scanner, measured the lens size exactly in Photoshop and then it was off to Ebay to order an adjustable (adjustable to maybe a few mm either way-your measurements still have to be close) over the lens filter holder. So for example the adapter step up ring for one lens might be 44mm to series 7. Another lens might be 40mm to series 7. So I can still use my series 7 glass filters. They have small adjustable metal "teeth" that can be bent slightly, but some are plastic and are not very malleable. So for a 20 bucks or so I'm covered. Just though I'd mention it as it hasn't been discussed as an option.

Tom

#7 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

If the camera is S16 and the mags have not been scratch tested for S16, there is a chance of film bruising or scratching, which is something to be aware of. -SAUL

You (we) should ALWAYS do a Scratch Test on each Mag prior to each Shoot... whether 16 or S16.. or any other Film Format...

Edited by David Rakoczy, 20 October 2008 - 08:36 AM.

#8 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

If the camera is S16 and the mags have not been scratch tested for S16, there is a chance of film bruising or scratching, which is something to be aware of. -SAUL

You (we) should ALWAYS do a Scratch Test on each Mag prior to each Shoot... whether 16 or S16.. or any other Film Format...

True!!

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks