http://www.cinematog...showtopic=14136

#3 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:59 PM

Those lenses are spectacular, but M-lenses have a flange distance of only ~27mm and it's impossible to focus them with an SLR (well, Kubrick used an adapted f0,7 Planar which also had to be used with a viewfinder camera :-).

Much more interesting to me are the new Leica S-lenses, they have AF and automatic aperture control (an electric adapter could remote control these functions) and their image circle is large enough for 5perf 65mm!!! The Leica optics chief designer said that these lenes are even better than most M-lenses, which would mean that they are way superior to every other lens used for 65mm...

#4 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

Do you know what focal lengths and stops these S lenses will come in?

#5 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

Next summer the S2-body is introduced with four lenses: 2,5/35Asph, 2,5/70Asph, 3,5/120Makro Apo and 3,5/180 Apo.
A few months later these lenses will follow: 2,8/24Asph, 2,5/100Apo, 3,5/30-90Asph, 3,5/350Apo and a 30mm Tilt&Shift.
Other (also faster) lenses will follow.
The flange distance is about 60mm - I don't know if that's sufficient for regular 65mm-cameras. Buth they all have internal focus, are weather sealed and extremely robust full-metal-designs!

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

.........The flange distance is about 60mm - I don't know if that's sufficient for regular 65mm-cameras. Buth they all have internal focus, are weather sealed and extremely robust full-metal-designs!

60mm might make them very practical for 8mm thick adapters on Arriflex's with 52mm ffd's!

Any word on how good/bad they are for follow focus work?

#7 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info Georg.

#8 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Today I was visiting a product presentation, but they had no S2+lenses, they disassembled most prototypes and needed the rest for another presentation... :-(

The Leica-engineer told me that he didn't know anything about plans to adapt the S-lenses to a 65mm-film-camera, but he liked the idea and promised me to mention it back in Solms :-)

I don't know how well they can used for follow focus work, has anybody ever used AF-lenses on a film-camera? It makes sense to me using an internal motor. But he also made clear that these are professional Leica-lenses. Full-metal-construction, weather-sealed and measured/optimized perfomance for every single lens - much closer to traditional film-lenses than consumer-stuff from other manufactureres!

After seeing "Dark Knight" on IMAX it seems stupid to me to invest so much money, passion and time and using only 35mm or even HD on any big project. Aren't all the Nolan's, Scorsese's, Spielberg's (+Stars) powerful enough to convince producers to invest into this format after the enormous success of Dark Knight?

#9 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

Those lenses are spectacular, but M-lenses have a flange distance of only ~27mm and it's impossible to focus them with an SLR (well, Kubrick used an adapted f0,7 Planar which also had to be used with a viewfinder camera :-).

Much more interesting to me are the new Leica S-lenses, they have AF and automatic aperture control (an electric adapter could remote control these functions) and their image circle is large enough for 5perf 65mm!!! The Leica optics chief designer said that these lenes are even better than most M-lenses, which would mean that they are way superior to every other lens used for 65mm...

I did my own evaluation/investigation of Nikon, Canon, century, and Leica.

Century makes the absolute best very long lenses.

Leicas are the sharpest mid-range lenses on the planet but they don't make any long lenses.

Canons are second, have the best average long lenses of anyone but their mid range are the same as Nikon. Funny that seems only recently have rental houses have discovered this and rehoused the better Canon glass.

Nikon worst of the professional lenses but they are cheap and plentiful.

Edited by Glen Alexander, 23 October 2008 - 11:01 PM.

#10 georg lamshöft

georg lamshöft
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Berlin

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:05 AM

I don't know century-optics, I have only experience with using conventional still-photography-lenses. These are Schneider-Kreuznach-lenses? I had one 2,8/50 for a Rollei 6000 - optical&mechanical quality like Zeiss!

To me, mass-production lenses like Canon/Nikon never came close to comparable Leica/Zeiss-lenses. But some of their designs are very old (shorter lenses for R-System) and don't really show what Leica is capable of and what we can expect from the S-series.

Long enough? ;-) :
http://www.pstechnik...ptics-leica.php

#11 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:12 AM

Century don't make their own lenses, they do conversions of exisiting stills lenses to PL mount.

#12 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Century makes the absolute best very long lenses.

I think you'll find most of the century lenses are actually Canons....

jb

#13 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:48 AM

I think you'll find most of the century lenses are actually Canons....

jb

Century makes optics for the US government, I haven't seen any Canon glass capable of 1200 or 2000mm without an extender. I talked with the head R&D guy in NoHo/Burbank. Have you?

Edited by Glen Alexander, 24 October 2008 - 11:48 AM.

#14 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

Century don't make their own lenses, they do conversions of exisiting stills lenses to PL mount.

Wrong. Century makes universal mounts for all of their lenses. They also make converters and adapters for ANY kind of mount PL, Nikon, Canon. Rental houses are lame and only carry PL mounts. I can take a Century optics with a PL mount, rip off the adapters and convert it to a Nikon F-mount in the field for $150 USD.

#15 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

Wrong. Century makes universal mounts for all of their lenses. They also make converters and adapters for ANY kind of mount PL, Nikon, Canon. Rental houses are lame and only carry PL mounts. I can take a Century optics with a PL mount, rip off the adapters and convert it to a Nikon F-mount in the field for $150 USD.

I don't think max is wrong, he just didn't list all the mount options. Al century mounts tend to have the option to be adapted to other mounts. In motion pictures, PL is the standard rental house mount so why would they carry other mounts ? And the point really is that century lenses are actually rehoused lenses made by others. They just make them motion picture friendy.

jb

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport