#1 Dave Lasayko

Dave Lasayko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi,
I have two rolls of Kodak Ektachrome 160 Color Super 8 Film That I Recently Shot Footage On For A Classic Washed Out Look. I Sent Them To Dwaynes Unaware That They Do Not Handle That Type Of Process Of The 160. One Roll Is 1979 And The Other Is 1985 I Believe, On Expiration Dates. I've Priced Rocky Mountian And Film Rescue , Close To $50.00/ Roll . Are There Any Other Companies That Might Be Able To Give Me A Better Deal On Prcocessing These Older Films? Any Help Or Suggestions Will Be Much Appreciated.

Dave

#2 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

I'm not aware of anyone else.
When I shot a roll of '96 stock in 2001, knowing the stock was discontinued, I checked beforehand that Kodak were still processing it and they said they were. Had they said no I would not have used it. Turns out I was misinformed and I had to go to Rocky Mountain, although they only charged abut $20-odd then. That advice doesn't help you this time, but now you know- check first.
30 years is a long time for colour stock in any case. I don't think Rocky Mountain will even guarantee to produce an image.
It's pretty unlikely you'll have a usable image and $50 is a sizeable gamble anyway. Nowadays people get the sort of effect you're after in post-production, on video. Sorry.

#3 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

Turns out I was misinformed and I had to go to Rocky Mountain

I sent an old roll of 35mm still film to Rocky Mountain several years ago. I forgot about it. It showed up over one year later processed. I couldn't believe it... I had to laugh.

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

They do say that they only run some really old processes occasionally, when they've collected enough film to justify mixing up a batch of the appropriate soup. If you wanted it right away you'd probably have to put a nought on the price.

#5 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

He might do it for $28:

http://members.aol.c...vicesPage1.html

E160 can be processed in E-6 but it has an anti-halation backing that gets in the way, so no one wants to do it. It's similar to VNF.

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

The Slider

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineTape

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc