#1 Alex Hall

Alex Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

I just recently finished watching the first three Indiana Jones movies and i was really impressed by the shot design and composition. This is a topic that I haven't heard much about on here. So, I was wondering what other films are good examples of shot design and what makes them good.

#2 Alex Donkle

Alex Donkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

That is an extremely broad question in all honesty. For starters, Spielberg in general has much better compositions and shot designs than most other modern directors. Check out Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T., Minority Report... for a lot more of his style.

But that's not to discredit some great other works. The Godfather is a great example of strong framing, Lord of the Rings, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Se7en...

Actually, if you want a quick run through of some decent and a couple great movies in a format easy to analyze compositions, check out this site...

http://www.leavemeth...index.php?cat=3

Just screengrabs every few seconds and it's a very quick and easy way to watch compositions of an entire film without getting drawn into the movie by silly things like acting, music, and storytelling... lol.

#3 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:08 AM

Actually, if you want a quick run through of some decent and a couple great movies in a format easy to analyze compositions, check out this site...

http://www.leavemeth...index.php?cat=3

Just screengrabs every few seconds and it's a very quick and easy way to watch compositions of an entire film without getting drawn into the movie by silly things like acting, music, and storytelling... lol.

Thats a great link Alex, thank you

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineTape

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Ritter Battery