#1 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hey, I am about to get my feet wet with 16mm and I am not sure what brand to go with. I know it is preference, but if you could give me your recommendations between Kodak and Fuji. I have a bolex right now and was looking at the Kodak 250T 7217 and the Fuji Eterna 250T. If there is a better film type for the bolex cameras, please let me know. (It is regular 16 not super.) Thanks a lot.

#2 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

If you are shooting 7217 that's 200T. I haven't shot the Fuji equivalent, but the Kodak '17 is a sharp stock, so any grain you have, which will be slightly accentuated from the smaller neg. area of regular 16mm will be more noticeable if the negative isn't properly exposed, or you have large areas of flat color without contrast. Just something to keep in mind, but as for the Fuji stock others who know about it will chime in here.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

I like the Fujis, though sadly I havn't been able to roll as much of it as I'd like. It's a bit creamier, I would say, in look than the kodak and the skin tones feel more pinkish. It works well under mixed lighting. My particular shot was under uncorrected flos and it handled them very well. We upped the green considerably in post (director was unsure whether they wanted that look at the time, which is why I chose fuji (eterna).)
I also really like Kodak. The stocks really come to life in the TK session for me. '17 is a nice stock for 16mm work, and normally the kodak's seem to prefer 2/3 a stop over exposure ('cept for the 50D).

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineLab

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport