Photo

Differences between negative and reversal?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick Centera

Nick Centera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • San Diego

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hey, I am new to using film and I am not sure what the differences are between a negative film stock and a reversal film stock? If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks a lot

#2 Adam Orton

Adam Orton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hey, I am new to using film and I am not sure what the differences are between a negative film stock and a reversal film stock? If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks a lot

Reversal is different from negative in a few significant ways. The most obvious is that Reversal produces a positive image once it's developed/processed. You could run it through a projector as soon as you got it developed. Slide film is a good example of what reversal is.

Here's a crude example: Posted Image

Negative film produces a "negative" image. If you've ever developed your pictures at Wal mart and looked at the negatives, you'll see that all the colors are backwards. In order for negative to look right, the colors have to be inverted. (Try this in Photoshop. Take a negative and invert the colors.)
Posted Image

Reversal film also has a narrower range than negative. (I'm not sure if the word is latitude, correct me if I'm wrong). That means it's easier to lose details in the highlights. Reversal needs a more careful exposure and works better with evenly lit, low contrast scenes. Professionals typically use Negative. Although if you've ever seen the movie Pi, you'll get a good example of B and W reversal in action.

That's just the basics. There's a lot more technical stuff that I don't even know about it :-)

Edited by Adam Orton, 20 October 2008 - 09:16 PM.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

CineTape

CineLab

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine