#1 Chris D Walker

Chris D Walker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Other
  • Cornwall, United Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

In what was a primarily throwaway talk about the new Terminator film, the director mentioned that they were using a 'new' stock that has triple the amount of silver in the emulsion compared to current film. Trying to find anything else about this new stock or what format it's shooting in have left me with nothing. So now, I turn to the board.

Could tripling the amount of silver mean the stock has more sensitivity to light? What about grain, contrast and saturation? Can anyone else speculate what this may possibly mean (I could be barking up the wrong tree)?

I've seen the teaser trailer and it doesn't give much away (being a teaser and all), but much of it seems to have a blue-tinted and bleached out look on exteriors the most pronounced. It could be that this is attributable to digital grading instead of the stock, however.

Please, speculate with me or if you have a real answer please post it here. Thanks for all replies.

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I've no idea what stock they're shooting on but i have heard they're using the Oz process, which is a silver retention process, so id imagine thats what the director is referring to, rather then a new negative.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

The only new film I know of is the 5260 from Kodak. All I know is that it's supposed to be more saturated then other 500Ts. It's 35mm only; so I don't think I'll be playing with it anytime soon.

#4 Esteban Rodriguez

Esteban Rodriguez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

Terminator Salvation is shooting on the 5219 according to Kodak, so I am assuming that the director may have said something about shooting on a newer stock, and then using a silver retention process as Stephen stated above.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly