Cheap (but good) camera tricks, magic, and special effects

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Elrod

Derek Elrod
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

This week we have another 5 to 10 minute short film due. I'm hoping to incorporate something simple where people will be asking "How did he do that?" or "How did he make that look so real?"

For example, a car crash, or anything that makes an audience go Whoa!

Obviously I couldn't fake a car crash without a huge budget and hollywood trained crew, but are there any ideas of something I could with cinematography to write a story around that wow's an audience?

Edited by Derek Elrod, 22 October 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#2 Alex Donkle

Alex Donkle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

I think most audiences would rather have a good story and solid acting than dazzling special effects. "Stealth" would be a perfect example of this.

If you're looking at a car crash though, as a local towing company that handles totaled cars and see if they could help you out. A friend of mine had them drag a smashed up car out onto a dirt road and then took it back after they'd finished shooting all for free. And it's certainly impressive if you do it right. Like the opening of a "Lost" episode started with someone waking up with a cut over their eye, then the camera pulled back showing she'd been in a car crash. Look ahead and there was a hole in the windshield where her mother had gone through it, and she way lying in the street covered in glass and bruises. A helpful towing company, $40 in fake glass, and a good make-up artist and you could pull off that scene.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

Why don't you write a good script and make that film as good as it can be? That's quite a task for a novice, or a professional for that matter.

#4 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

Some guy at SCAD blew up his car for his senior project. I didn't see the footage but I'm sure it was awesome. I don't know how he pulled it off. But yeah. Write a good script first. Then next year, progress to explosions and dramatic sex scenes. ;)

#5 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

I think most audiences would rather have a good story and solid acting than dazzling special effects. "Stealth" would be a perfect example of this.

If you're looking at a car crash though, as a local towing company that handles totaled cars and see if they could help you out. A friend of mine had them drag a smashed up car out onto a dirt road and then took it back after they'd finished shooting all for free. And it's certainly impressive if you do it right. Like the opening of a "Lost" episode started with someone waking up with a cut over their eye, then the camera pulled back showing she'd been in a car crash. Look ahead and there was a hole in the windshield where her mother had gone through it, and she way lying in the street covered in glass and bruises. A helpful towing company, $40 in fake glass, and a good make-up artist and you could pull off that scene.

Thats great advice man...

#6 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:03 AM

Why don't you write a good script and make that film as good as it can be? That's quite a task for a novice, or a professional for that matter. - Chris Keth.

Ain't that the truth! :blink:

Edited by David Rakoczy, 23 October 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#7 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

ok. here is a link that shows how to make someone getting hit by a car. i hope you know afterfx.

http://www.videocopi...vanced_car_hit/

#8 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

One thing you might try is the expendable mirror trick. Set up a cheap mirror on a deserted road at a 45 degree angle, supported by something like breakaway balsa wood. It has to be fairly large to get a reasonably wide angle. Shoot from a safe distance off the side of the road, have all the windows closed on the car, and it can look like the car drives full speed into the camera up until it hits the expendable mirror.

Of course, be very careful with all this stuff, lock off the camera and cork in the battery from far away. You don't need to operate, it's too dangerous.

-- J.S.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Technodolly