#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

It's been on TV a lot lately. I've disliked it since I saw it in the theaters. But, lately, I've started to view it from it's pieces instead of its whole. It has some really great shots. It also has an interesting style. There's a kind of detachment in its shot selection that borders on the poetic. I recall having the same sensation about Armageddon.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, as usual, Bay focuses more on the visuals than the story. It works with all his other films, but just didn't fit with a WWII film.

Still, the attack sequences are amazing. That's the only thing I remember liking about the film.

#3 Benson Marks

Benson Marks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Yeah, as usual, Bay focuses more on the visuals than the story. It works with all his other films, but just didn't fit with a WWII film.

Still, the attack sequences are amazing. That's the only thing I remember liking about the film.

I agree. I've seen this film more than once and I don't think I liked it more after seeing it a second or third time. Sure, all that CG glory was great, but the story wasn't that good and the characters just seemed rather unintelligent. I didn't even care about what happened at the end because the characters were so dull, it didn't matter what happened to the characters because you just didn't care. That, I think, is why the movie wasn't fantastic. Not even all the great eye candy in the world could fix those problems. If only we could've had great CG and a great story at the same time.

#4 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

I still remember the song from "Team America",.....

... why does Michael Bay get to keep on makin movies....

... like Ben Afflect needs acting school.

..... Pearl Harbor sucked more than I missed you...

#5 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

I always thought Pearl Harbour was a beautifully photographed movie. Lots of hard light and smoke, and i adore the look of the scene near the end of the movie where the plane crashes in the field at dusk. It's hardly natural photography but its using some older lighting techniques that a lot of contempory cinematographers would struggle to cope with - especially on a Michael Bay movie. For all its faults as a film there's plenty to learn from its photography. Schwartzman's commentary on the DVD is equally interesting, especially if you read between the lines every now and then.

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape