7 replies to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

This might sound like a strange question, but I'm not sure where to find this information so I thought I would ask here.

I'm about to shoot a project that takes place in 1945. At that time, would kids have had Glow in the Dark toys and stickers? I tried to look it up on wikipedia and other sites but didn't really find anything. Does anyone know or remember when these came out? Especially the stickers of stars that kids would put on their walls? Any info on this would help.

Thanks.

Jase.

#2 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:37 AM

You are 30 years wrong. Seventies

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

I remember toy glow in the dark stuff from the early 1950's, but there wasn't a lot of it. They definitely had it back in WWII, it was used on aircraft instruments. They even had paint with Radium in it, to keep it glowing 24/7. That was stopped not long after, as the danger of radioactivity became known.

So, if your movie is a story, it's not such a big stretch. If it's a documentary, you'd need to search out better information.

-- J.S.

#4 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

I remember toy glow in the dark stuff from the early 1950's, but there wasn't a lot of it. They definitely had it back in WWII, it was used on aircraft instruments. They even had paint with Radium in it, to keep it glowing 24/7. That was stopped not long after, as the danger of radioactivity became known.

So, if your movie is a story, it's not such a big stretch. If it's a documentary, you'd need to search out better information.

-- J.S.

Thanks for the replies. It is a story but I want it to be realistic in this manner. So the chances of having the glow in the dark star stickers in 1945 is pretty much a negative? Anyone else have thoughts on this??

#5 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

http://www.kronometr...g/article/lume/

The article is primarily about watch dials, but indicates that luminescent or phosphorescent toys could have been available then.

#6 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:55 AM

http://www.kronometr...g/article/lume/

The article is primarily about watch dials, but indicates that luminescent or phosphorescent toys could have been available then.

Zinc sulphide-based luminous paint was available in the 19th century so it's not too much of a stretch that luminous stick-on labels would have been available in the mid-20th century. The technology was certainly there.

You might do some good looking in the Google news archives for the 1950s, since the search engine picks up advertisements as well as news stories.

Radium-based "permanently luminous" paint was available since the early 20th century but rapidly fell into disuse after WWII when the danger of the gamma radiation given off by Radium was realized. (Newer "24/7" luminous paints are based on artificial radioactive materials which only give off alpha or beta radiation and so are much safer, but the paranoia still persists).

Edited by Keith Walters, 25 October 2008 - 06:00 AM.

#7 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

A kid in the U.S. in 1945 was more likely to be playing with a Samurai sword that his dad brought home from Japan. Also, model airplanes and stuff--anything war-related.

If you haven't seen "Avalon," definitely rent it. A great story about kids, and although not necessarily totally centered on the 1945 era, it will show you a wonderful and REAL way to shoot kids interacting with themselves and the adult world.

Of course, that great script didn't hurt.

#8 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

I remember now having cardboard punch-out halloween decorations with glow in the dark stuff on them, in the early 1950's. Certainly it would have been available circa '52 - '53. There was also a little plastic street light for a train set with a glow in the dark globe. It's certainly plausible that such stuff was around 7 or 8 years earlier, though I wasn't. ;-)

-- J.S.

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc