#1 Ben Hamilton

Ben Hamilton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

Hello Everyone,
I have not been on here in a month or so but I would love to get everyone's feedback on practical growth options for my company. I am currently a student at UT studying film and own a small video production company, Pioneer Videography. I am by no means a master at any of this, but have worked hard over the past 5 years to network and put projects together. This summer I spent 5 weeks in Alaska directing and filming a documentary about the Tongass National Forest and I am seeing my career push into the field of social (entrepreneurial) film making. Over the past few weeks I have begun to put together my business plan and so I can be ready to launch full throttle when I graduate. If anyone has practical advice on these questions I would appriciate it greatly.

I currently own a V1U and edit on Xpress Pro - Where should I invest or rather, what are the best blogs/site to keep up with that will allow me to stay informed when making my decisions?

As men and women with more experience, what would you like to see preserved in the next generation of filmmakers?

If you could go back and do it again, what mistakes would you have missed, and what steps can I take to achieve?

Any other advice is appriciated!
Thank you all for your help and I look forward to reading your comments.

Sincerely,

Ben Hamilton
www.pioneervideography.com
www.humansymphony.org - environmental campaign site with Echoes of the Tongass Trailer

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:37 AM

Well, Ben, I'm much in the same boat as you.
As for investments, the best ones aren't in cameras or computers, really, but in things which are durable and last a long time-- such as lighting and grip equipment. You'll need it on every shoot, regardless of what camera, or format, and it hasn't changed that much.
Also the best investment you can make is in meeting other people in the industry.
To keep up on what's new, I just read through American Cinematographer, for it's new equipment things. Also subscribing to the CML is quite useful, as is, of course, this site.

Best of luck!

#3 Ben Hamilton

Ben Hamilton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:03 AM

Well, Ben, I'm much in the same boat as you.
As for investments, the best ones aren't in cameras or computers, really, but in things which are durable and last a long time-- such as lighting and grip equipment. You'll need it on every shoot, regardless of what camera, or format, and it hasn't changed that much.
Also the best investment you can make is in meeting other people in the industry.
To keep up on what's new, I just read through American Cinematographer, for it's new equipment things. Also subscribing to the CML is quite useful, as is, of course, this site.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your advice and links! Good luck to you as well.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:12 AM

Hey, anytime.
Consequently, if you were going to upgrade cameras, those like computers you should wait until the last minute to get because you never know what's over the horizon for 'em. NAB '09 will be a good time to look into cameras, and for computer, well just hold off on that until you figure out what camera to buy.
Consequently, AVID media composer is $300 with student discount. . .so I would snatch that up when you get the chance to replace Xpress, which is no longer made.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Opal

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks