http://www.nypost.co...eens_135139.htm

#2 Benson Marks

Benson Marks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

Well, that's quite a shame, isn't it? But then again, maybe it isn't necessarily bad news. I went to an IMAX theatre once in eastern washington, and learned that the screen was 67' x 60.' The experience was great (Even if it wasn't cheap). Now, if the average IMAX screen is 100' x 80' (The dimensions of that Lincoln Square auditorium), then this isn't much of a big deal. If I still had a good experience, and the screen was smaller than most, then it's really nothing to sneeze at. I still enjoyed my time there despite the fact that it wasn't as big as all the others.

#3 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

Screen size is relative anyway. Picture quality depends on resolution and you can get that same immersive experience if you sit closer to the sceen. After all its a known fact according to the theory of relativity that what happens when you sit closer to the screen is that you shrink and the screen gets bigger.

#4 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:10 AM

Unfortunately these new Imax installations are using the new IMAX digital projection system which just stacks two 2k DLP projectors. So the image isn't even 4K let alone anything close to proper 15/70mm projection.

So IMAX is not really offering much more in terms of picture size or quality over a good conventional cinema screen. I think its a real shame and could kill the format - as people will confuse IMAX digital with proper IMAX. Even if the screen is a bit bigger its not going to have that almost real image quality that you get with large format film. I'm sure the digital projection looks ok, but its going to be significantly less good than IMAX film projection - I guess if most of what they show is DMR blowups - your not missing anything. But IMAX originated movies are really going to be degraded in these screens.

#5 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:47 AM

Good article on IMAX digital:

http://www.lfexaminer.com/

#6 Thomas James

Thomas James
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

Its all about commercialization. From a commercial standpoint 70mm film is a failed format and IMAX is betting that most consumers are not smart enough to know the difference. But from an artistic format 70mm is very sucessfull as it provides the best picture quality. Dual 2k will be twice as good as Blu-Ray so I guess thats the new definition of IMAX. When Blu-Ray dies then and only then will IMAX come up with something better and we will have a forever series of small incremental improvements rather than quantum leaps in picture quality. As far as state of the art the IMAX Dome format seemed to be the best for the total immersive experience but that format needed to use logarythmic polar space varient resolution technology so that the sharpness could be concentrated in the center of the picture in order to discourage head turning. With Dome you get wide screen and high screen that goes right up to the zenith but the movie needs to be shot in the Dome format otherwise horrible distortions are introduced.

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc