Arik Jekyll Davidson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

hi,
i'm looking for cinematography training videos that will cover all the material that Universities and Colleges are covering for a degree.
i know about all the videos that train you to use premiere or after effects... they are nice but they only teach you the program & menus... not the profession itself.
so... anyone know for videos that covers all that?
thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:39 PM

You need to go to My Controls and change your Display Name to a real first and last name, as per the forum rules listed at the top of the registration page.

I'm not aware of any series of cinematography training DVD's that cover the specific coursework that a film school offers, especially since that varies from school to school. There are a number of DVD's that cover a wide range of topics that are cinematography-related but it's a scattershot approach.

There are also these new-fangled things called "books"...

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

And of course another benefit of most film schools is that you get to practice. Very important. And while you can do this on your own, often a film school will expose you to more diverse equipment than you could buy/rent. (big generalization of course).

#4 Arik Jekyll Davidson

Arik Jekyll Davidson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

well, i can't go to school at the near future (private issues).
books are nice, but videos are like being in the classroom :)
so... i'll be happy to hear about some good videos & DVD's that are at least close to what i can learn for a degree.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

If you're not willing to read a book on a subject you supposedly want to become good at...

If you truly loved a subject, you couldn't be stopped from reading and seeing everything on the subject in existence, good or mediocre. So the fact that you have limits in terms of how much effort you want to expend on learning a subject is not a good sign.

How can you expect a college-level of education that doesn't involve books?

#6 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

Videos can only show you what to do, you can't actually do it. You actually have to take the time and actually do it. As a beginner with no experience, the only way to do that is through schooling.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

Instructional videos are fine as part of an overall process of educating yourself. You also need to read books, periodicals, see movies, and shoot, shoot, shoot.

I can't think of any specific series of DVD's that cover what could be called a "traditional" cinematography class coursework. There are a number of DVD's that are lighting tutorials, for example, or show some low-budget techniques. There is also the documentary on the history of cinematography, "Visions of Light".

#8 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

hi,
i'm looking for cinematography training videos that will cover all the material that Universities and Colleges are covering for a degree.
i know about all the videos that train you to use premiere or after effects... they are nice but they only teach you the program & menus... not the profession itself.
so... anyone know for videos that covers all that?
thanks

The profession?

Well, there are two aspects to this you have to think about if you're truly serious about creating a real career.

The first is the "art." The second is the "business."

To learn the art/technique/tools/etc., there are, as David mentioned, many great books and a few DVDs that will cover aspects of those elements. As with anything, some are better than others. I believe that this forum has a list of some Cinematography specific books. I have compiled a large list of those and others at www.whatireallywanttodo.com under "Additional Resources." And remember, once you have the basics of lighting in some way, there is nothing that will take the place of experience... getting into a project and having to deal with limited budgets, resources, limited time, people of varying skills/experience/personalities. A book will only take you so far, but to really learn, you eventually have to get out there with a camera and some lights and just start doing it. Move the lights around. Move the camera. Put yourself into difficult situations and learn how to get what you want on film/video anyway.

But start with reading, and to that end, there is the "business" part that you MUST know about. It's all well and good to learn the technical aspects, but without realistic context that you'd get by putting in years of hard work, all of that is just theory. So, I highly recommend that you also read the book What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood (link below). All of those other books and DVDs mentioned above will tell you how to make a movie, how to frame a shot, how to light a scene. All important to know, BUT what they don't tell you is how actual professionals MAKE a movie. It's important to learn how a typical set is run. What is the day like for everyone? Is your day spent being an "artist" or are you forced to make compromises? How long are your days anyway? Who really is in charge of deciding how something will be shot, you or the Director... or maybe the Actor? There are A LOT of things that no school will teach you as they concentrate on the "art" and "theory."

So, there are plenty of excellent resources out there to help the aspiring Cinematographer learn and this forum is a great start. Take advantage of the various opinions and experiences of professionals from around the world.

CineLab

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Opal

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam