#1 Yaron Harel

Yaron Harel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:13 AM

Hi all.
has any one try to produce an external battery include the electronic circle for the camera?
thanks Yaron.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

If you're talking about the battery meter in the RED viewfinder, than that is proprietary to RED and it's own branded batteries. However a large block like the Anton Bauer CINE VCLX has it's own run time meter based on the current draw from the camera. This works very well with the RED.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

There are also those "T" shaped "V" lock hot swap adapters for the Red. They can let you keep running with on-board power and avoid re-boots.

-- J.S.

#4 Yaron Harel

Yaron Harel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:51 AM

Hi Mitch.
no, i want to produce a self made external battery that communicate with the RED like the RED battery
Thanks, Yaron.

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

no, i want to produce a self made external battery that communicate with the RED like the RED battery

First try asking Red. They might tell you, and the worst that could happen is they say no. They've released an SDK, so there's a chance.

-- J.S.

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

Red does not release that proprietary information. You would need to design a fairly complex circuit board, as there is a group of comminucations that happens between the battery and camera.

#7 Yaron Harel

Yaron Harel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Mitch.
I've talk already with RED and got the same answer you mention, I'm trying to design something so lets look forward and see what I get

#8 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Thanks Mitch.
I've talk already with RED and got the same answer you mention, I'm trying to design something so lets look forward and see what I get

I seem to remember reading that the RED uses the same serial data protocol as other Lithium-Ion battery manufacturers, and some of them will in fact will communicate with the RED.
If that is the case, then RED's battery display is just a software interpretation of the data the battery sends to it and a simple circuit using a PIC microcontroller and a LED display would probably be good enough.
Lithium-Ion batteries have a charge/voltage curve similar to lead acid (gell cell) batteries, it's just that there isn't as much variation in voltage between fully charged and fully discharged. Of course, to measure the state of charge while the camera is actually switched on is more difficult, because of the enormous current drain of the camera.

#9 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

I seem to remember reading that the RED uses the same serial data protocol as other Lithium-Ion battery manufacturers, and some of them will in fact will communicate with the RED.
If that is the case, then RED's battery display is just a software interpretation of the data the battery sends to it and a simple circuit using a PIC microcontroller and a LED display would probably be good enough.
Lithium-Ion batteries have a charge/voltage curve similar to lead acid (gell cell) batteries, it's just that there isn't as much variation in voltage between fully charged and fully discharged. Of course, to measure the state of charge while the camera is actually switched on is more difficult, because of the enormous current drain of the camera.

Why don't you just run cables from a deep dwell marine battery? find the maximum current draw of the camera and put a small light bulb in series. most are rechargeable, can handle high current loads, they do weigh a bit.

#10 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:34 AM

Why don't you just run cables from a deep dwell marine battery? find the maximum current draw of the camera and put a small light bulb in series. most are rechargeable, can handle high current loads, they do weigh a bit.

Because the RED's low-voltage cutoff will operate even when a lead acid battery still has plenty of charge in it.

Sony were/are bastards for doing that sort of thing. Early Betacams could run fine from cheap gel batteries but the power supply cutoff was set to detect the end point of NiCad batteries, which is somewhat higher than for lead acid.
And the voltage detector was safely hidden away in an epoxy coated module so you couldn't fiddle with it by changing resistor values.
(JVC's cameras had similar power supply circuitry, but they would run fine off gel cells, so it's not like it wasn't possible).

However you could fool the Sony circuit by soldering a 1.5V battery in series with the sense line. Once you did that, they would run perfectly well down to the 10V end point of gel cells! There is absolutely no excuse for that sort of design garbage.

For a while you couldn't get after-market Li-Ion batteries for many Sony products, because if they didn't detect a Sony power management chip in them they simply refused to work. So you were forced to pay 3-4 times the price for genuine Sony batteries which did nothing extra except tell the camera it was allowed to work. I don't know whether they got sued, or prosecuted for anti-competitive behaviour, but that nonsense stopped rather abruptly :lol:

#11 Yaron Harel

Yaron Harel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:36 AM

Thanks you all.
we just in the middle of the issue, we're discover something on power system and we try to composed a similar strongest battery pack.
keep in touch, Yaron.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

The Slider