#1 Chris D Walker

Chris D Walker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Other
  • Cornwall, United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

When I first watched Natural Born Killers a few years ago I was thrown out my usual viewing experience, best described by Oliver Stone as "watching two weeks of TV in two hours." On the Region 2 DVD's featurette I remember Tommy Lee Jones detailing Robert Richardson using as many as 12 different formats to shoot the film in order to ingrain the impression of someone actively flicking between channels, never having a singular objective point of view.

My question is what formats did Richardson use? I know there was 35mm, 16mm and 8mm but is there a concisive list available anywhere or could someone here enlighten me? This is purely for my own curiosity and would appreciate any information given.

Secondly, which films have you enjoyed that have mixed formats for a desired effect? A few spring to my mind. Could it be considered that Natural Born Killers is the most extreme example of this style of cinematography?

Thanks for any and all replies.

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

The issue of AC that covered NBK goes into quite a bit of detail about the project. I always look at JFK, NBK and Nixon as companion pieces visualy as you can see Richardson experiment and develop a particular style through each of those movies. U-Turn is also worth watching to see what that style ultimately developed into. JFK is still one of my favourite pieces of Cinematography.

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

My question is what formats did Richardson use? I know there was 35mm, 16mm and 8mm but is there a concisive list available anywhere or could someone here enlighten me? This is purely for my own curiosity and would appreciate any information given.

I believe the sections with Rodney Dangerfield used a combination of Betacam (color) and 35mm black and white.

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Opal

The Slider

Visual Products

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Paralinx LLC