#1 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

So I've tried looking into UCLA/USC but, unfortunately they either don't fit into my schedule or my budget (For some reason, USC accepts people for the next Fall semester in the previous years fall semester, which means I wouldn't start there til Fall 2011, which is too late for me).

I've been looking into the AS/AA degrees offered from NYFA and LAFS. But I'm looking for some more up to date opinions (Theres a thread on here but its from 2 years ago).

I'm curious if these hold any merit, or if I should just make films. I've already made three short films (None too amazing, but some good) and I have more planned for the future.

If so, which do you recommend?

#2 JJ Garcia

JJ Garcia
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:12 PM

I almost committed myself to NYFA until someone here told me about LAFS. Did research and compared both schools and it's obvious that LAFS is a better all around school. It's expensive as hell though, but i'm still going to go with LAFS.

#3 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

Many have gotten a lot out of NYFA. I got a friend a job teaching there a while back and he tells me good stories of teh graduates who had potential.

#4 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Right now I'm considering NYFA as my next school after CC here. I'm going down for their open house in November to check it out, can't wait!

I just looked at LAFS and it looks good, but it doesn't give you as much information about the program as NYFA. It is also cheaper than NYFA. For the two-year program at NYFA it's $17k a semester and for an A.S. at LAFS it's $42k.

I'll post back again after I go to the open house and let you know what I thought.

#5 JJ Garcia

JJ Garcia
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:28 AM

Yeah Steve let us know how the open house goes. Would like to know your thoughts on it.

#6 Jose Figueroa Baez

Jose Figueroa Baez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • New Orleans, LA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

I almost committed myself to NYFA until someone here told me about LAFS. Did research and compared both schools and it's obvious that LAFS is a better all around school. It's expensive as hell though, but i'm still going to go with LAFS.

If moving out is not a problem, I can suggest Full Sail University in Winter Prak, FL. They own LAFS and their program is amazing. Its not all peaches and cream though. It is very expensive and the hours are killers, their labs run anytime on the 24 hr day. The good things, all that money pays for absolutely everything, from books to film stock, tapes, a macbook pro laptop with all kinds of good software and all the training. You learn from people that know their stuff and if you dedicate yourself you can get a lot out of the school. Check it out and see if it might be an option.

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC