#1 Sean Jason

Sean Jason

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

I'm shooting TOMORROW and I need COVERAGE of a man walking from a tree. There's no other person in the shot. He walks from the tree and then comes upon something. Then there's an action. If I do a wide of him walking from the tree, I will burn a lot of footage -- too much$$$. Shot I have: medium of man stepping out of frame from behind a tree. What I need: something to explain that the man walked out of the medium shot, around a tree, and then coverage of the man doing an action about 50+feet later. What should I do? THANK YOU!!!

#2 Steve McBride

Steve McBride
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

Do a wide of everything with the man walking 1/3 or 1/2 the way, then cut to a medium shot of him walking into frame and interacting with the object.

Really all I can think of right now without having any pics of the set or something.

Good luck!

#3 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

I'm shooting TOMORROW and I need COVERAGE of a man walking from a tree. There's no other person in the shot. He walks from the tree and then comes upon something. Then there's an action. If I do a wide of him walking from the tree, I will burn a lot of footage -- too much$$$. Shot I have: medium of man stepping out of frame from behind a tree. What I need: something to explain that the man walked out of the medium shot, around a tree, and then coverage of the man doing an action about 50+feet later. What should I do? THANK YOU!!!

Start with a wide shot to set up the reveal around the tree and let him start walking. If you then cut in to a MS or even MCU of him walking, you can use that to compress the action and when you go back to a wider shot showing what it is he has found, you can have moved him the 50 odd feet away without the audience realising he hasn't really walked for long enough. You can also use a CU of the feet walking through frame to chop a bit of distance out. [Only if it suits your script/style etc.]

The other option is to rethink your reasons as to why he needs to walk so far before he comes upon whatever it is he finds... Can he do this sooner/closer to the tree?

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

Don't be so sure you're going to save any significant money by adding medium and closeup shots to this scene. Fifty feet isn't really that far, and shouldn't add more than ten to fifteen seconds to your wide shot. Hey, it's film. Don't be afraid to spend a little money (or you're in the wrong line of work).

#5 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

You can compress the shot in editing by cutting in a close-up of feet walking.

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Opal

Paralinx LLC