C. Y. Richmond

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

Shooting a S16 short and considering renting the Cooke Zoom 9-50mm T2.5 Lens, but have never worked with it. I have access to a Canon 8-64mm, however, the film's aesthetic lends itself to late 1960s, early 1970s new Hollywood (i.e. "Harold and Maude," "Five Easy Pieces," etc.), so i am considering renting the lens to try to get a more diffused ("aged?") look. Anyone ever work with this lens? Perks? Faults? Thanks.

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

The Cooke 9-50 does not cover Super-16. There are two versions of this lens that do, a Cooke 10.4-52 and a 3rd party conversion that is a 11-60. It is a very clean, sharp lens with nice contrast and a slightly warm look. If you're looking for something a little fuzzy with poorer contrast, try to dig up an old Angenieux zoom, like a 15-150. There are other sizes like 9.5-57, 10-150, 12-120 and 12-240 but these do not cover Super-16 at all focal lengths.

#3 Sander Ferdinand

Sander Ferdinand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • The Netherlands

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

I was told the Canon 8-64 was an old video lens when i saw one, and the guy who gave it to me for filming said he hated it because of the lack in contrast at high apertures. Alltough i'm not a very experienced s16mm shooter i would advise you to stay out of low light conditions with the canon ( everything under ~ F 3.0 = bad ). That is, if you're gonna use it.

Greetings

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

I was told the Canon 8-64 was an old video lens when i saw one, and the guy who gave it to me for filming said he hated it because of the lack in contrast at high apertures. Alltough i'm not a very experienced s16mm shooter i would advise you to stay out of low light conditions with the canon ( everything under ~ F 3.0 = bad ). That is, if you're gonna use it.

Greetings

The Canon is pretty contrasty at most stops and doesn't really match the look from the 1960 or 1970s. It's not that bad wide open compared to most zooms, although it improves closed down a stop. Quite a few camera people swore by them when they came out.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

The Canon is pretty contrasty at most stops and doesn't really match the look from the 1960 or 1970s. It's not that bad wide open compared to most zooms, although it improves closed down a stop. Quite a few camera people swore by them when they came out.

That's my experience with them. I love them for a good all around zoom when I shoot S16. If I can't get one of the newer gen zeiss T2 11-110s I get one of the canons.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies