8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex de Campi

Alex de Campi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

I'm normally a London (UK) based director but for reasons too complicated to explain I'm going to be based in New Hampshire (Portsmouth area), USA for the next 3 months or so.

I'm writing on an indie music video, probably a 2 day shoot max in New Hampshire at end November (yes, outside in the snow) and PAID. I'm looking to shoot it on 35 - I've shot a lot on S16mm and want to play with even bigger cameras now.

So I'm interested in hearing from / meeting DoPs with experience lighting 35mm in the Boston / NH / Maine area. If people have their own camera I'm interested in that, too (and day rate will be increased to reflect provision of camera, etc). I love old cameras so IICs, BLs, etc are most welcome, as is techniscope / Commiecams, as long as you've got a variable speed motor that'll go up to at least 48fps. I am not interested in digital or the Red Camera for this particular project, thanks.

The gig isn't definite yet but I write on a lot so if not this one, then others. Email me on alexdecampi *at* gmail *dot* com or post below.

#2 Alex de Campi

Alex de Campi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

Just to clarify, I'm really NOT interested in flying anyone in for this gig - if it comes down to that, I'll fly in my regular DP from London who is a.mazing and with whom I have a great working relationship. So: sorry, West Coast folks.

This is all about building up a local network in the New England area of people I can work with on a potentially ongoing basis on music videos and short films.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Come to Philadelphia, It's much cheaper to shoot ;) and we can look like New England!

best of luck finding someone though. I'd love to do it, but me-thinks I'm a bit too far away.

#4 Alex de Campi

Alex de Campi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

I grew up outside Philadelphia! (Chester Heights)... I know the city well. Sadly, but for Act of God, there isn't likely to be enough snow in late Nov around Philly/Chadds Ford for the look I want. Heck, school only got cancelled for snow days about 2 days a winter, which to my 10 year old self was WAY too few.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

Ha I know the let-down of snow days for children. Though, of course when it does snow here... It Snows, like 1996!
Best of Luck Alex and if any acts of god come up let me know.

#6 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:01 AM

I can easily drive up from NYC.

best

Tim

#7 Alex de Campi

Alex de Campi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

See, driving up from NYC I'm totally OK with. Tim - got a link to a reel/website or can you drop me an email so I can get a better idea of your style, etc?

#8 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

Well, throw my name in the ring, another driver from NY. Click on the link below. Cheers!

#9 Alex de Campi

Alex de Campi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

Just to update on this, I got the gig (nothing quite like beating out 21 other directors for the ego!), they needed the video like YESTERDAY which meant the shoot got moved to London (closer to the artist, and where I could use my favourite/usual DP and HODs) and then five days before the shoot the label decided to postpone the video indefinitely due, presumably, to wanting to hold back on marketing budget. And this is... well, it's the biggest record label out there.

Sigh. Music videos, aren't they fun?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who got in touch - I am very much looking to develop relationships with DPs in New York and Boston as I need to start shooting in America rather than only flying back to London for gigs, so it all comes in useful and I am starting to plan projects here.

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

CineLab

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS