Jump to content


Photo

two B&W stocks


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

As I'm slowly transitioning from camera testing to shooting more planned sequences, I have a question regarding black and white negative stocks:

7222 (200 asa indoor, 250 outdoor)
and
7231 (asa 64 indoor, 80 outdoor)

As you'd expect the 7222 is much more grainy than the 7231. I have a narrative where about 70% will be shot inside during the day and the other 30 % outside during the day. I am trying to decide on which stocks to use. For example I could use 7222 inside and 7231 outside or I could use all of one or all of the other. I know it all depends on the look I want but,

My question is if I used 7222 inside and 7231 outside, do you think the change is stocks (and grain structure) would too abrupt of a transition for cuts right next to each other? So there would be a cut from interior to exterior and then back again?

I remember a couple of years ago seeing the film 21 Grams, which I thought was a great, but there was a shot where they cut to and indoor bed with low lights and I remember first noticing the heavy grain in the film stock that didn't seem to present in the previous shot. I don't want a hic up in the flow of the story because of stock.

As always your feedback is appreciated.

Tom
  • 0

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:20 PM

As you'd expect the 7222 is much more grainy than the 7231. I have a narrative where about 70% will be shot inside during the day and the other 30 % outside during the day.
My question is if I used 7222 inside and 7231 outside, do you think the change is stocks (and grain structure) would too abrupt of a transition for cuts right next to each other? So there would be a cut from interior to exterior and then back again?

LOgistics would be of course easier if you were to just use the 1 stock. Plus you don't have the catch of perhaps having to swap film as you go in and out. (assuming you are working on a locations)
IS the grain of the Double-x "TOO" large for you? For example would the grain in a shot where their is sky in the background be distacting?
On the other hand, do you have enough lighting or lighting budget to shoot your interiors on the Plus-x?
How are the transitions presented. is it quite clear that the action is going inside, and staying inside, with a good reason for it to go outside. - That would make the grain change a part of the logic of the inside outside transition and may help with teh mood. -- OR-- are we at a cabin in the woods where folks are wandering in and out and still maintaining a conversation though the open window. There the switch would be jarring.
Have you tested a slight OVER exposure on daylight shots with the 7222? and compaired the grain with the same subject shot at normal exposure?
Think about those ideas and the right answer will come to you. If you still can't decide, shooting the DXN 7222 for all shots is probaly safe.
  • 0

#3 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1494 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:02 AM

Same recommendation from me, employ 7222 on the whole. You are right, grain cuts distract the public. If the chemical character remains the same, your spectators forget about it within two minutes. Even less
  • 0

#4 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2070 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

7222 just has more character in my opinion as well.

Grain is absolutely a consideration, but it really speaks black & white whereas 7231 to me looks like it could have been a color stock desaturated. I was disappointed in some recent projects where I used 7231 compared to past 7222 projects. 7231 is almost too clean.

Hmmm... reminds me that I need to order some 7222.
  • 0

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1722 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

You might want to try the 7266 as your one stock. It is finer grained than either of the negative stocks. Also, if 7222 is not to your liking, try 7231 pushed one stop. That will give you a bit more speed indoors and not be problem outdoors either. That is if you want grain.
  • 0


CineLab

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineLab

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

The Slider

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC