Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

Hey everyone,

Im visiting London for a few days - anybody have any recomendations on things to do while Im here - other than the usual touristy stuff?

feel free to post or even better if you are willing to take the time email would be fantastic.

Thanks

Chris

cpritzlaff@gmail.com

Los Angeles, California

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:07 PM

Im visiting London for a few days

Commiserations.

I dunno, what's there to do in London? Count pigeons? Join the locals for a communal piss in the car park stairwell? Marvel at the hitherto unplumbed depths of broadcasting mundanity being explored by the local BBC news team? And you're here just at the right time of year for our famous lowering overcast!

Maybe we should get some sort of support group together for this poor lost soul.

P

#3 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

Do the usual touristy stuff - theres plenty to see and most of it is worth seeing at least once. If weather permits take the open top bus tour - its overpriced like most things in London but its a nice introduction to the City, shows you where most of the major tourist sites are and gives you some sense of scale, from which you can decide what you want to spend the time seeing later. Bring an Umbrella:-)

#4 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

The Byzantium exhibition at the Royal Academy on Piccadilly is on my list.
Bring a warm coat as well as an umbrella. It's not much above 10 degrees here. (That's 50F to you.)

#5 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

As well as the bus ride that Stephen mentioned I would also take a boat ride on the Thames. Its always a nice trip...even when it doesn't rain!!
Pop over to east london...there are some great cobbled streets that really scream of London in the old days.
I presume you'll be on public transport, therefore, get on the tube and head to Liverpool St station once there ask anybody for directions to Spitalfields Market. The best day is on Sunday.
The river is not too far from there so you could also head over to Tate Modern, London bridge and the famous London Tower.

On a saturday there is the manic Portobello road market which is near Notting Hill (west london). Lots of tourists come rain or shine!

Of the top of my head I think all is left is for you to are cover the central points of picadilly, west end, soho etc.....

Hope you enjoy your time here!

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

The London Transport Museum in Covent Garden is good.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

Spitalfields Market

Good grief, is that the best we can do?

They have five or six of the world's major movie studios, miles of beaches, a fantastic climate and smog you can cut into little pieces and take home as a souvenir.

What've we got? Spitalfields market.

I give up.

P

#8 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

Good grief, is that the best we can do?

They have five or six of the world's major movie studios, miles of beaches, a fantastic climate and smog you can cut into little pieces and take home as a souvenir.

What've we got? Spitalfields market.

I give up.

P

I dont see why a film studio is more interesting than spittlefields and honestly phil if you are bored of london you are bored of life... my recomendations after the usual (ie tate britain, tate modern, london eye etc) is get a copy of time out and go and find some things londoners would do- check out some fringe theatre, eat at a fantastic restaurant, go to a burlesque show, get a boat down the thames to greenwich and have a walk through the park and take in the navel college, grab a curry in brick lane, watch some comedy, go to a club. i mean for **(obscenity removed)**s sake london is the most exiting city in the world!

#9 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

Phil, its not that bad! Although we don't have the smog that you can cut up to pieces and take as souvenir, I'll give you that!
I do however agree with Keith, where is a film studio interesting outside of working there?
Its just a load of empty stages!!

There are some good pubs as well in east london!

Maybe us Uk'ers could meet in one and re-invigorate Phil views on Londinium. And get sozzled of course!!

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

You know what, just for you lot, free of charge, I'm going to go into town tomorrow and spend a couple of hours taking pictures of the poop-smeared, vomit-strewn pit of filth that London really is. The only reason you can't take the stink home with you is that they'd charge.

Or then again maybe not; I don't think I could call "photo-journalism for cinematography.com" a tax write-off, and for the money they want for the train fare, that'd make a significant dent in my personal finances, and that's even before having bought a £5 sub containing about £0.10 worth of ingredients.

I'm not bored of London, I don't think anyone would call this degree of rancour boring. I merely revile and despise the place for being pretender to a crown that doesn't fit; it pretends to be an interesting, international city, and when you get there you discover that it's a large collection of very poor architecture held together with secondhand beer and full of people who'll gob on your shoes as soon as look at you.

The only good thing about London is that it's the best place I can get to without having to get on a long-distance form of transport, and that's not really saying much now that Paris is three hours away from my front door.

P

#11 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

I give up

I think we all know that Phil, and probably quite a while ago

#12 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

Phil, you'd probably enjoy Newcastle. It's a good deal sleepier than London, the architecture is mostly good, the air won't kill you, and the people are very friendly. Problem is it has no film industry. :(

Edited by Matthew Buick, 03 November 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#13 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Didn't expect my topic would generate this much discussion. So far I like London. Seems nicer than LA at least, though I think we do win in the case of the weather.

So far in my 4 days here - (one of which was spent in bed due to jet lag)

Tower of London
Imperial War Museum
Walked around Central London for a half day
Numerous Pints at various pubs
Clubbing til 5am (they party longer over here)
Wandered through Covent Garden
Went to Harrods at Kinghtsbridge ( I was told the Hot Chocolate on the 3d floor was well worth the trip - they were right)
Took Photographs around the city

Overall not bad

Almost decided to take part in a low-budget shoot that I stumbled across online that is taking place at some club next friday but instead booked a trip to see Stonehenge that day.

Overall I really enjoy london - if you have any more suggestions I would still greatly appreciate them. Also, I wanted to see about touring a film studio here, but I can't seem to find any information on it and it seems like that isn't done over here - I wasn't expecting anything like the fake tours that they give back in LA - i was more curious to see a working London studio. If anyone knows of how that might be done I would really appreciate that as well.

Thanks

#14 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:32 AM

The National Galleries and the British Museum are quite good to visit.

#15 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:23 AM

And of course the 'Gunners' at the Emirates Stadium !!!!!

#16 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

The only thing you really should avoid is Oxford Street. It's horrible and I feel sorry for all the tourists that trundle up and down it in search of London.

Do the museums (Tate, National, V&A). 3 best coffee's in London are Monmouth Coffee on Monmouth St in Covent Garden, Fernandez & Wells on Beak St or Bar Italia on Frith St. All of Soho is sleazy worth seeing. Covent Garden is worth seeing. If you want designer stores, try Floral Street on CG. If you want slightly younger try Carnaby Street in Soho. The Breakfast Club is a good breakfast place in Soho. It's on D'Arblay St. If you want to look at outrageous gay people, Old Compton Street at night is a fun show. Bar Boheme on the same is open late and a good spot for a last drink (even if you're not gay).

For Books try Foyles book store on Charing Cross. Or HMV on Oxord St for entertainment (only time you should be on that street). See the Tower of London. See St. Pauls Cathedral and walk around The City and it's old narrow passages. Gotta have a curry on Brick Lane. Try The Ten Bells Pub on Commercial Street if you want to drink where Jack The Ripper drank. Around Shoreditch and Hoxton Sq is were all the hipsters hang, so if you want a club and a full night out, that's where to go.

Notting Hill and Portobello Market is fun (it's on saturdays). Make sure you go to the end where it meets Golborne Rd. Take a right and walk up to a cafe called Lisboa. It's super cheap and has the most amazing pastries and stuff. Always rammed, but good fun. Normally you end up sitting on the curb outside drinking your Portugese coffee.

You should see Savile Row and all the old bespoke tailors there. You can always pick up a nice shirt or hanky even though you might not afford the suits.
Just around the corner from that i Burlington Arcade, which is very quaint and old English. And just further down is Old Bond St where all the super expensive deisgner shops are. This is where I salivate over men's watches that I can never afford (and where my gf salivates over handbags she can never afford). If you want a "posh" spot of lunch after that, try the Wolselely on Piccadilly or Ritz or Claridge's Hotels.

Too many good pubs and restaurants to mention, but if you go up to Hampstead, make sure to have a drink at the Holy Bush pub up the hill - it's marvellous.

#17 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

And of course the 'Gunners' at the Emirates Stadium !!!!!

Chris, Do not go and see the goons! They are rubbish, life is much better at Stamford Bridge! :P

#18 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

Chris, I'm shooting at the 3 mills from thursday until saturday. Not in the same league as the bigger sets...i.e 007 but nevertheless they're a good place to view.

#19 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

C'mon we must have someone who's out at Shepperton or something in the next week, can't we hook this guy up?

This is exactly the sort of dismality I was expecting.

P

#20 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

Phil, remind me to contact you when I need cheering up!

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Glidecam

Abel Cine

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

CineTape