Joseph Barnett

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

HI,

I normaly shoot coverage so I am quite new to lighting, so any advice you can give me would be hugely helpful.

Im shooting three short set peices with a locked of camera (objects on fire) with the intention of projecting these 1:1 in site specific locations. Each film will be a household objects on fire set against a large white purpose built fake wall. im looking for quite a clean flooded difused look. The end result esentialy needs to look like a white poster, with the objects on fire + graphics txt etc.

What would be a good set up to shoot this? if you can give names for the lights that would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

#2 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Sounds like a famous Pink Floyd Album Cover...

Shoot the Fire at 4 - 5.6 on 100t. Light the White Cyc to 3 Stops (Reflected) Over... and make sure the 'Object' has plenty of Fill.

Use 1/2 CTBlue on all your lamps and your (Color Chart) if you want a 'Redder' Fire... or use HMIs (5500) for even 'Redder-er' Fire.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 05 November 2008 - 06:55 PM.

#3 Daniel Porto

Daniel Porto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like a famous Pink Floyd Album Cover...

Shoot the Fire at 4 - 5.6 on 100t. Light the White Cyc to 3 Stops (Reflected) Over... and make sure the 'Object' has plenty of Fill.

Use 1/2 CTBlue on all your lamps and your (Color Chart) if you want a 'Redder' Fire... or use HMIs (5500) for even 'Redder-er' Fire.

So are you sugesting that in post you correct the fill (which is either 1/2 CTB, or HMI color temp) as white to produce the redness in the fire. If so, it might just be easier to buy a filter which converts half way (is it the 81B???) or use an 85.

Your post just confused me... typo maybe or am I just an idiot?

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:30 AM

Adding the filter will make 'everything' go warmer.. adding the 1/2 Blue or shooting on Daylight Stock with 5500k Light will make the Fire 'itself' go warmer... I should have written this way:

Shoot the Fire at 4 - 5.6 on 100t. Light the White Cyc to 3 Stops (Reflected) Over... and make sure the 'Object' has plenty of Fill... you could also add 1/2 CTBlue on all your lamps and your (Color Chart) if you want a 'Redder' Fire... or use HMIs (5500) with 50D for even 'Redder-er' Fire.

I hope that makes more sense...

#5 Daniel Porto

Daniel Porto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:57 PM

Adding the filter will make 'everything' go warmer.. adding the 1/2 Blue or shooting on Daylight Stock with 5500k Light will make the Fire 'itself' go warmer... I should have written this way:

Shoot the Fire at 4 - 5.6 on 100t. Light the White Cyc to 3 Stops (Reflected) Over... and make sure the 'Object' has plenty of Fill... you could also add 1/2 CTBlue on all your lamps and your (Color Chart) if you want a 'Redder' Fire... or use HMIs (5500) with 50D for even 'Redder-er' Fire.

I hope that makes more sense...

Yes that certainly does!

Thanks!

Visual Products

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post