#1 Spencer Hutchins

Spencer Hutchins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

Although I don't think many would see this movie as groundbreaking cinematography, I did however enjoy the exterior scenes in which the muted colors and over exposed skies were utilized. Picture_2.jpg

Also, specifically in the scene where Gerard Butler is running from the over zealous Russians, there's a very...gritty, realistic? feel to it. Picture_1.jpg

Being that I am still a student, and haven't worked all that much with film I was curious of professionals opinions about how both of these were achieved. Was it indeed all about the secrets to cinematography and specifics Mr. Higgs did as far as stock, camera, lighting? Or was it just a great collaboration with those departments meshed with art direction, wardrobe and make-up?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Edited by Spencer Hutchins, 06 November 2008 - 02:39 PM.

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

Was it indeed all about the secrets to cinematography and specifics Mr. Higgs did as far as stock, camera, lighting?

this was shot on the Arri D20

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

What i find most interesting is that IMDB for this film considered the D-20 "HDV."

As for how it looks; i would say a combo of lighting/location, and color correction. I mean, look t your 2nd shot there, if he was wearing a red shirt, the shot would be; well, shot.

#4 Spencer Hutchins

Spencer Hutchins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

I guess my next question (knowing it wasn't shot on film) would be weather or not they used any camera painting options during production. Or would they more or less do this correction during the span of post?

#5 Muhd Ghufran

Muhd Ghufran

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

Although I don't think many would see this movie as groundbreaking cinematography, I did however enjoy the exterior scenes in which the muted colors and over exposed skies were utilized. Picture_2.jpg

i believe that the overexpose skies are common in English films shot in their country itself.

#6 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:40 AM

As the weather is so changeable here in the UK, unless the director doesn't want it, I tend to overexpose slightly the skies for an overcast look.
I did it recently on a day as mentioned above and it worked a treat for continuity purpose.
I must stress that will give the sky an overcast look (which is the UK sky for about 80% of the year).

Edited by Serge Teulon, 19 November 2008 - 04:41 AM.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

The Slider

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

CineTape