#1 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

Hi,

I notice from Red.com "serving 4751 - 5325" & Red User "serving 4751 - current orders".

Stephen

#2 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Hi,

I notice from Red.com "serving 4751 - 5325" & Red User "serving 4751 - current orders".

Stephen

Hmm. I wonder if the the wait list is for the Epic is forming in its place...

#3 Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

Hmm. I wonder if the the wait list is for the Epic is forming in its place...

I believe that you won't be able to buy an Epic until all current RED One owners have had an option at buying one. I believe it won't quite be the same way with the Scarlet because Jim has said in the past that they are going to make enough to begin with (and should be easier to make than the RED One)

Matthew

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

Hm, five and a half thousand units. I wonder if they've made one that actually does everything they initially promised to have "in a year".

P

#5 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

Does that actually mean they've delivered 4750+ cameras already? I was under the impression that some people haven't taken delivery of their cameras yet and were holding out until the camera wasn't so 'subject-to-change'.

Edited by Will Earl, 08 November 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

A lot of RED's have been sold and delivered, but I don't think the serial numbers exactly match the number of units out there.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

A lot of RED's have been sold and delivered, but I don't think the serial numbers exactly match the number of units out there.

Hi David,

The serial no's are based on reservations & orders, not delivered cameras. As the potential premium on cameras have now evaporated some of the speculative purchasers will have not taken delivery.

Stephen

#8 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hm, five and a half thousand units. I wonder if they've made one that actually does everything they initially promised to have "in a year".

P

Well if I'm reading Reduser correctly, on Nov 13 they are going to release a render of the Scarlet that has everything one could possible desire of a render and more!
Some of the more rabid fanboys there sound like they might be preparing to cyber-camp outside the Reduser website just so they can fight for the privelege of being the first to congratulate them at 00:00 Nov 13 2008. Haven't seen anything like this since Windows 95 came out :lol:

Edited by Keith Walters, 08 November 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#9 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

Hi David,

The serial no's are based on reservations & orders, not delivered cameras. As the potential premium on cameras have now evaporated some of the speculative purchasers will have not taken delivery.

Stephen

At one point JJ said that not a single person had taken them up on the offer of a refund of their $1,000 deposit +10%. It would be interesting to know if that has changed.

Everything is subject to change....

(Except for the drinks machine at work which never has any :lol: )

#10 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:43 AM

Haven't seen anything like this since Windows 95 came out

Wow! To think I actually used to use Windows. What a waste that was. :)

#11 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

Well if I'm reading Reduser correctly, on Nov 13 they are going to release a render of the Scarlet that has everything one could possible desire of a render and more!
Some of the more rabid fanboys there sound like they might be preparing to cyber-camp outside the Reduser website just so they can fight for the privelege of being the first to congratulate them at 00:00 Nov 13 2008. Haven't seen anything like this since Windows 95 came out :lol:

That one was funny. KW... Just for your information, a few of customers are not fanboys. Standards taken, don't count all supporters will be there.

#12 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that last time Jannard posted some "renders" he actually delivered a revolutionary camera?

#13 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:59 AM

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that last time Jannard posted some "renders" he actually delivered a revolutionary camera?

Hi Tom,

How is your Epic?

Stephen

#14 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:48 AM

I'm hoping that the new renders will reveal more ergonomic designs than the current Epic and Scarlet renders. This has been a weak point of the current revolutionary camera and something that the 3rd party manufacturers have been fixing piece meal.

#15 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

That one was funny. KW... Just for your information, a few of customers are not fanboys. Standards taken, don't count all supporters will be there.

I think you need to look up the actual meaning of "Fanboy".
I'd say probably none of the customers are fanboys.

#16 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:39 AM

Not for some time afterward, and (once I'd managed to scrape together enough information to deduce how it works) I didn't think it was all that revolutionary anyway.

From what I've seen, well - I haven't actually seen any real world RED footage.

#17 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hi Tom,

How is your Epic?

Stephen

Funny too. Stephen, you're really improving your humor. Otherwise, JJ respects you. Can you imagine? *Edit* (KW... that day will come soon :lol: )

Edited by Patrizio De Sica, 12 November 2008 - 06:54 PM.

#18 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:17 AM

Funny too. Stephen, you're really improving your humor. Otherwise, JJ respects you. Can you imagine? *Edit* (KW... that day will come soon :lol: )

????
Jannard ... respecting ME?
I seriously doubt that. Soon or any time.
I think he's far more respectful of Phil Rhodes than me.
But so what?
Respect only counts when accompanied by understanding.
Anyway, the closest anybody gets to respect around here is a lot of "No True Scot" arguments.
And no, I'm not talking about Jim Murdoch :lol:

#19 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

Oh I get it. The day when I see some real RED footage will come soon.

I thought that was a strange statement, even from you.

I was sure you said almost exactly the thing about a year ago so I went through all 177 posts you have made in the last 2 years, but it wasn't there. Must have been one of the other posters with 100% perfect spelling and almost totally incomprehensible English skills.

You might be interested to know that not a single one of your 177 posts contains any useful or constructive information, apart from a few links to other, more informative posters.
That's a pretty impressive record, not too many people could equal that :lol:

I couldn't help noticing that despite all the much-needed practice you've been getting posting in English, your English seems to have slowly gotten worse since you started???

It's almost as big a conundrum as why Emmanuel's English is always so much better when he posts on Reduser...

#20 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:57 AM

I expect the RED ONE's replacement. or at least a large part of its market has been announced with the either the 35mm sensor version of the Scarlet or the 35mm sensor version of the EPIC. Although, I imagine quite a few REDs will be upgraded just like a computer, the temptation for quite a few geeky owners must be to buy the lastest new toy.

The new cameras do appear to be in modular system less like the Meccano style one used on the RED ONE and the wide range of sensor sizes will have appeal, perhaps more to a niche market at the larger sensor end.

The interchangeable lens version of the 2/3" Scarlet appears to address the EX3, but I suspect these cameras will just co-exist, their differing post work flows suiting different markets and users.

There's enough new kit announced to keep RED busy for some time - the RED ONE is just about becoming a mature product just as these new products are announced.

The Slider

Visual Products

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly