#1 Idris Hussain

Idris Hussain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

its in the topic title really. i am just finding it really hard to get some academic research into the theories and practices behind mood in film, tv, cgi, or any form of viewable media.

i want something that simply delves into and discusses theories on how to portray certain moods and atmosphere using colour and lighting for example.

i really hope you can recommend some good books as it would really help me out.

cheers

~
Grech

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

Great!

But first change your profile and include your full name.

#3 Idris Hussain

Idris Hussain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:06 AM

Great!

But first change your profile and include your full name.

done :)

#4 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

FILM LIGHTING by malkiewicz

#5 Brian Rose

Brian Rose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Student
  • Kansas City area

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

I like John Alton's Painting with Light. It's a lot of technical stuff to be sure, but he also goes into some more theoretical stuff too. While he worked across many genres, his most famous work was in the noir genre, which is about as moody/emotional as you can get.

And if you REALLY want theory, Goethe wrote a wonderful book called, "The Theory of Colours" (or Zur Farbenlehre). He focuses heavily on the perception of color, and the emotional responses to it. He's notable for breaking from Newton, who argued that color resulted from the splitting of white light. Goethe by comparison believed color to be something that existed in a realm between light and dark, or when the two overlapped. Unlike Newton, who regarded dark/shadow to be the absence of light, Goethe believed it was a force in its own manner, that interacted with and in opposition to light.

For photographers and cinematographers, who study the zone system, and to whom shadow can be as important, perhaps more important even, than light itself, Goethe's theories have definite relevence, and is well worth a read.

Hope this helps!

Best.
BR

#6 Idris Hussain

Idris Hussain

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:03 AM

I like John Alton's Painting with Light. It's a lot of technical stuff to be sure, but he also goes into some more theoretical stuff too. While he worked across many genres, his most famous work was in the noir genre, which is about as moody/emotional as you can get.

And if you REALLY want theory, Goethe wrote a wonderful book called, "The Theory of Colours" (or Zur Farbenlehre). He focuses heavily on the perception of color, and the emotional responses to it. He's notable for breaking from Newton, who argued that color resulted from the splitting of white light. Goethe by comparison believed color to be something that existed in a realm between light and dark, or when the two overlapped. Unlike Newton, who regarded dark/shadow to be the absence of light, Goethe believed it was a force in its own manner, that interacted with and in opposition to light.

For photographers and cinematographers, who study the zone system, and to whom shadow can be as important, perhaps more important even, than light itself, Goethe's theories have definite relevence, and is well worth a read.

Hope this helps!

Best.
BR

thanks so much guys. i will probably get all three talked about in this topic. goethe sounding like exactly what i need to help with my dissertation for sure :).

any more recommendations would be greatly appreciate

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio