Evan Andrew John Prosofsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hi all,

I have been attempting to learn as much about working with light as possible. Within the past few months I have read various book recommendations such as John Alton's 'Painting With Light', 'Hitchcock Truffaut', and 'The Five C's Of Cinematography'.
I am now looking for a more visual way to learn. Can anybody please suggest a dvd that they found helped them? I realize a lot of you are going to say "the best way to learn is to watch your favorite movies and find out how they lit them". I totally agree. I still would like to see a real light training dvd though. There are so many out there, please suggest a good one! Thanks very much.

Evan

#2 Mike Washlesky

Mike Washlesky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin,TX

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hi all,

I have been attempting to learn as much about working with light as possible. Within the past few months I have read various book recommendations such as John Alton's 'Painting With Light', 'Hitchcock Truffaut', and 'The Five C's Of Cinematography'.
I am now looking for a more visual way to learn. Can anybody please suggest a dvd that they found helped them? I realize a lot of you are going to say "the best way to learn is to watch your favorite movies and find out how they lit them". I totally agree. I still would like to see a real light training dvd though. There are so many out there, please suggest a good one! Thanks very much.

Evan

The book "Reflections: twenty-One Cinematographers At Work" available through the ASC is a great book with practical information. It also includes a DVD with interviews from tons of DPs. You should check it out.,

#3 Evan Andrew John Prosofsky

Evan Andrew John Prosofsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

thanks for the suggestion, it sounds very good. has anyone checked out the dvds listed at the bottom of the arri lighting manual? please keep the suggestions coming

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Glidecam

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Opal

The Slider

Willys Widgets