#1 chris hoag

chris hoag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student
  • Chricago

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

when it comes to intermediate print stocks (im talking black and white) whats the difference between duplicating negative (for ex. 7234) and duplicating positive film (for ex. 7366)? im trying to print an internegative from reversal camera original and then from that internegative make release prints. what would happen if I used a positive film to make the internegative? I also have a bunch of 7302 left over from another project. what would happen if I used that to make the internegative?

#2 Brian Pritchard

Brian Pritchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Other
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

7234 is a grey base low contrast negative stock. 7366 is a clear base positive stock. These two stocks and their polyester equivalents are designed to have an overall contrast of 1.0, approximately, so that you end up with a duplicate negative with the same gamma as the original.

If you use a positive stock to make your internegative the contrast would be way too high. In fact you should really make a lower contrast negative, gamma about 0.45, when printing from a reversal original which is of projection contrast.

Brian

#3 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1414 posts
  • Other
  • Basel, Switzerland

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:22 AM

Let me only add that these films have become obsolete as Gigabitfilm can act as universal stock for all the purposes. Its characteristic photographic curve is almost a straight line up into highest densities and embraces nine stops. Compared to Gigabitfilm processed in the original chemistry the traditional stocks look coarse-grained.

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Technodolly

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Tai Audio