#1 Joe Riggs

Joe Riggs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

Hello,

I am a student taking a beginning film class. My group is required to make a 3 minute 16mm B/W negative short, and we plan on purchasing 3 100ft rolls. We have worked with b/w reversal but we are all pretty naive when it comes using negative stock, the telecine process and the quality benefits. Members of the group have some major concerns, mainly monetary/Quality (cost vs. benefit) that could hopefully be answered by others with much more experience.

I should also mention, we are near the L.A. area, and the school has a telecine machine (but the quality is pretty bad). Since the cost of the telecine will be about 300/hr and this is a project that will most likely just be shown in class, and may not be the great film we hope it will be, is going through Fotokem or another lab worth it? Will a one light pass make a great difference? Furthermore, since we are shooting in B/W sophisticated color correction tools will not be necessary, and therefore won?t the benefits of the telecine process be severely limited?

#2 dave v

dave v

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

for telecine, fotokem gives students the lowest priority since they have so many major projects theyre working on. try out magic video and film works, they'll sit with you and give you a good student discount.

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks