#1 Ashley Wing

Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

In March this year I pulled together about £500 and wrote and shot a short film around my father in law's poem. I managed to source a crew together from different backgrounds of filmmaking. I'm still learning and trying to build on my directing experience. We didn't have the money to hire an adapter or primes for the camera but we used what we had to the best of our ability at that time. Going back I would alter the grade adding more contrast and be a lot tighter on the exposure of the shots. It does look hot in areas as well as a little flat and washed out.

Of course there's a lot I would of done differently now, as everyone would, but I feel making this short was important step in my progression as a filmmaker. If you get time to watch and add some comments I'd appreciate it very much. Give me all the bad as well as the good, everything helps, it's all good in the long run.

You can view the short here: http://ashleywing.ne...pies_movie.html

Cheers,
Ash

#2 Tom Hepburn

Tom Hepburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago-land

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hi Ashley,

I see what you're saying about some of the exposure, but that aside, which it totally correctable, I thought it was very nice. I was able to be carried by the story and images without the interruption from technical glitches, at least at this resolution.

Good work.

What were you using in terms of camera, etc.?

Tom

#3 Ashley Wing

Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hi Tom,

We used the Panasonic HVX200. I have my own dolly kit which I was going to use on the tracking shot, but due to the size of it and that fact we were shooting on a public right of way, it just wasn't possible. We used a figrig instead, I scrounged it from the local media centre and smoothed the shot in post. We also managed to borrow their portable dvd player which we used as our monitor. I know it's not very professional but it's all we could get our hands on. Our DoP was kind enough to bring along his set of Redheads for the int shoot. That's where our lighting equipment ended, but it helped non the less.

That was all the equipment we had really. And that's before eating into the budget. That was spent on food and fuel expenses. Oh, and the pyrotechnics of course. I found a local reenactment group that were more than happy to help out for the flashback. It worked out really well as they all owned their own equipment and costumes.

I'll need to sort the footage from the website if it's glitching too much, apologies about that.

Thanks for watching.

Ash

#4 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

That's just lovely Ashley

Wooden Camera

Opal