Christian Kessler

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

Hey All-

I've just had my Beaulieu 4008 zm4 serviced in preparation for an upcoming shoot. I've purchased a roll of Vision2 7217 & a roll of Vision3 7219, which i'm going to use as test rolls this weekend.
My question is concerning the use of my light meter with these two films. I have a Sekonic L-508. The manual states that the meter bases it's calculations on a 180 degree shutter, but since the beaulieu does not utilize this type of shutter, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the Gillotine type shutter speed (the type used by the Beaulieu) into a number that the light meter will recognize.
The camera manual states that at 24fps, with a fully open shutter, it will record at 1/86 of a second. So, with what I've been able to figure out, it seems as thought this means that I'm shooting with the equivalent of a 100 degree shutter? I hope that this is making sense to someone.
Have any of you ever shot with this camera using a light meter? How did you make this compensation/translation? Does the compensation need to figure into my ISO?
Any enlightenment on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advanced-

#2 JB Guillot

JB Guillot
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Other
  • France

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:41 AM

Christian,

Sorry for the delay. I made my own calculations too and I found the same result : equivalent shutter degree is approx. 100 degrees.

Sadly I can't really help you as far as the external light meter is concerned, I'm also trying to answer those questions so if you have any news on that topic, feel free to share.

As far as I know, there are some high end light meters that permit to set the shutter angle...but they cost twice the price of my Beaulieu :lol: . Even if they are the ultimate tools for non technician like me, it's way too expensive !
On the other hand you can adjust other variables to correct your light meter. ISO wouldn't be my choice. Some light meters seem to have a +/- adjustment on the exposure (just like on SLRs) which would be more accurate I think.

Any help / advice on that subject would be great. :)
If some of you have some practicle examples, light meter references...feel free to share ! Thanks ;)

Opal

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineLab