Filip Huygens

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

Hi,

I'm exposing my 7218 500T with a full CTO in front of the lens, and i want to over-expose to reduce grain. Is it correct to mesure my light at 200 ASA?

grtz Filip

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

I'm exposing my 7218 500T with a full CTO in front of the lens, and i want to over-expose to reduce grain. Is it correct to mesure my light at 200 ASA?

grtz Filip

Hey Filip,

Unless putting some CTO gel in front of your lens will give you some sort of look that you are after, I would recommend that you get an 85b filter rather than using a gel. That is if your goal is to add some orange to your image.
As for overexposing, I normally find that rating 500 asa stock at 320 asa is sufficient for reducing grain. It will also increase your contrast.
However it does all boil down to what effect you are after.

#3 Filip Huygens

Filip Huygens

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

I'm sorry, I am a little bit tired after a whole day of pre-lighting.

I mean offcoure a 85B in front of the camera , not a cto. The setup is:

Blue curtains where daylight shines true. This effect will be intensified with a 2K (blonde) diffused + double CTB. The actor lies on the bed, playing a videogame (Kinoflo-effect + 1/2 CTO). When his father enters, white balanced light will shine in the room (Tungsten + 1 CTB). He closes the door and puts on the light. Here the director wants the contrast of cold light true the curtains, with warm light from interior ( a little bit saturated orange on the faces). I did the prelight with unfiltered tungsten on the interior (room-) lights.

I hope you get my goal, sorry for bad English, I'm tired.

So I thought: 85B = 2/3 stop - over exposure = 2/3 stop = 200 ASA

correct?

Filip

#4 Filip Huygens

Filip Huygens

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

ow yeah
couldnt choose the stock
School bought 7218

#5 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hi Filip,

Ok, with no disrespect, from what you said it sounds to me like you are "adding" where you shouldn't.
I'm assuming that this shot is daytime. Thus meaning that with an 85b, daytime will render a white light. Do you want it as so?

#6 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

I hope you get my goal, sorry for bad English, I'm tired.

So I thought: 85B = 2/3 stop - over exposure = 2/3 stop = 200 ASA

correct?

Filip

You forgot your overexposure in this quote.. and the 85 in your other quote...

500asa - 2/3 stop overexposure = 320asa.... then - 2/3 stop for the 85 filter = asa 160

Rate it at 160asa.

Also, don't expect much out of your lamps with double CTB!... you mind as well place a piece of linoleum in front of the lamp.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 15 November 2008 - 08:41 AM.

#7 Filip Huygens

Filip Huygens

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

I'm stuck to the 85 B and the 2 full CTB because the blue curtains, which I couldn't choose on the location.
The director wanted to work with them, to give a blue fill on the characters, which is low key.
When the light turns on, a more warm atmosphere enters the room, tungsten + 1/4 CTB

So I thought it was the best solution to work, with this stock. Im working at T 2.8, which is +- 1 stop under on the blue fill, and 1,5 stop over on the warm key.

Tomorrow last shooting day, will show you the result in a month or so.

Better posted this in on the student board.

Filip

#8 Sing Howe Yam

Sing Howe Yam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

I'm stuck to the 85 B and the 2 full CTB because the blue curtains, which I couldn't choose on the location.
The director wanted to work with them, to give a blue fill on the characters, which is low key.
When the light turns on, a more warm atmosphere enters the room, tungsten + 1/4 CTB

So I thought it was the best solution to work, with this stock. Im working at T 2.8, which is +- 1 stop under on the blue fill, and 1,5 stop over on the warm key.

Tomorrow last shooting day, will show you the result in a month or so.

Better posted this in on the student board.

Filip

From what you're saying it seems you don't want the actual daylight to render as white. I would shoot the 7218 as is and let it go blue if that is what the director wants. If it's a little too much supplement the instruments (assuming they're daylight balanced) or the windows that the natural light is coming through with whatever degree of CTO you want or if it needs to be more blue add more CTB. Add more CTO, CTS, or whatever gel on the warmer side you choose to your instruments and practicals when the light is switched on. Having to use CTB cuts down your light output more than CTO does.

Plus this way you can rate your film at 320 and not have to deal with the filter compensation on top of that. I've shot ext. night scenes on the 7218 @ 2/2.8 and there is barely any grain, as long as you expose properly and don't underexpose. Crazy for 16mm.

Check out my website: www.singhoweyam.com and go to the narrative section and watch that film. I shot it on the 5218 (35mm) for this project and shot it uncorrected and let the daylight go as is. Keep in mind though, I shot that film with stylized look with top lights exposing 5-8 stops over my shooting stop to achieve a certain look. My DP demo reel has the ext. night shot that was done on the 7218 with the campfire if you want to get a grain reference.

I'm thinking what I just said is what you're looking for, your post is slightly confusing so I might have made things even more complicated!

Good luck with your shoot though.

Sing Howe Yam

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Glidecam

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Opal

rebotnix Technologies