Photo

Photographing stunts - Car hitting a person.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sing Howe Yam

Sing Howe Yam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

Hi, I'm looking for some advice and tips on successfully shooting a a scene where I have to sell the person getting hit by a car and it not being hokey. I asked the director if we could make the viewers think the person got hit by the car by using sound and camera movement to sell it. This is a no, he wants to actually see the person get hit or make it look like the person got hit within the shot.

I've never shot anything like this and I'm concerned about selling the effect and the safety of the actor/stuntsman. Our budget is not the biggest and I don't know if we can do this with SFX (although we're shooting it on the RED, plenty of information) I think for one the budget and the release date for the film is extremely tight and hinders us from doing that.

So please and advice on this or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

I start shooting in December. Thanks,

Sing Yam

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Well you could utilise a dummy. Which works well from a static shot - it becomes a bit more involved if you start moving the camera. Start by filming your actor walking out onto the street (assuming of course this is what happens). Then place a dummy dressed up to look like the actor in the position and pose that the actor was in where you want the hit to happen. Then drive the car into the dummy. In the edit you can typically get away with a quick two-frame transition from the actor walking safely to the dummy getting hit.

Obviously don't do anything that could endanger the safety of the actor or stuntman.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

I'd do it as a lockoff; shoot a pass of the person standing there, then (using chinagraph on the monitor or, better, a video mixer) line up a dummy in his end position and run the car into that. I suspect there's significant safety issues even in running a car into a dummy, but if you do it forcefully enough and cut the pieces together (which won't be hard) I suspect you could end up with something quite convincing.

This is clearly how this was done, albeit with camera movement and some convenient birds flying by to mask the transition, and it is highly effective:

http://uk.youtube.co...feature=related

Looking at that, it might even just be a greenscreen drop-in of the kid, and you wouldn't need motion control - there isn't enough parallax to give away the fact that he could be a flat element.

P

#4 Evan Pierre

Evan Pierre
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

http://www.videocopi...vanced_car_hit/

That should help a little :lol:

#5 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

I shot a scene where a guy 'got hit' by a truck. We shot with a static camera sans actor with the truck coming straight at the camera, past the point where the man would be struck. Then in the same setup we shot just the actor walking across the street with two guys carrying a green screen behind him, then composited the two later. It was a relatively simple key and it sold very well because the actor turned toward the vehicle right before it 'hit'. We didn't show an actual body getting hit, and it wasn't necessary for that film, but you could easily cut from the implied hit to a closer shot, maybe of a POV inside the vehicle, to the actor/stuntperson rolling up onto the hood.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Sing Howe Yam

Sing Howe Yam
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:16 AM

To everyone that left their advice and the video's it helped a lot just from looking at the lost post with the screen shot, completely made sense to me. Thanks a lot guys.

Sing Howe Yam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc