Photo

Night shoot in country lane with no lights.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ashley Wing

Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of pulling together a short world war 2 drama and one of the scenes is in a country lane at night. I know exactly how I want it to look but I'm unsure how to achieve this. I tried something similar awhile back and it didn't look quite right, we did day for night and enhanced the effect in post, which didn't get me the ideal results.

I would really like a heads up before I start considering what other options there are, what kind of equipment I'm going to need to pull together to make this happen.

This time I'm determined to get it as perfect as possible. The colour palette I'm going for is blue and Ideally I'd like to see a majority of the surroundings illuminated by a full moon. A good example of the kind of look I'm going for can be seen to good effect in Del Toro's, Pan's Labyrinth, in the last scene.

CLIP: http://uk.youtube.co...feature=related

How do I approach something like this? Shooting in a country lane in the middle of nowhere. At night the area is completely pitch black and you can't even see your hand in front of your face. Is it even possible to do what I want to achieve?

Thanks in advance,
Ash

#2 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hey Ash,

If you have some establishing wides to shoot then the standard that you normally see in films are a big light such as a Wendy or a Dino with some 1/4 blue and 1/4 plus green on a big crane. If you have to money, then cool go for it. Otherwise you have to work with smaller units. But with the smaller units I always find that they work better if the setting is in some woods. Something like some blondes with the same gel combo as previously mentioned hung up on certain trees.

Good luck!

Edited by Serge Teulon, 16 November 2008 - 03:59 PM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC