5 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

I'm building my package little by little and wanted to get the "key essential" tools DP's use on everyday sets.

What would you suggest.

I've got Gels, Scrims, Tape, Swiss army knife....Just the essentials. That word might be to vague, but if you've got something to add, I'd like to hear it. Or are these the tools a gaffer would need and not a DP.

#2 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

I swear cube taps are God's gift to electrics.

Check the 'Set Lighting Technicians Handbook' by Box, probably the most promoted literature on this site. It has lists of things every electric toolkit should have, the 'essentials.'

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

That's mostly stuff a spark would carry. A lot of DPs never carry anything but coffee, a meter, and maybe a viewing glass.

That said, I don't think anyone around a set should go without a flashlight and a leatherman.

To your list for an electric's basic kit I would add a multimeter and a good pair of gloves.

For Dave's neck of the woods, an electric heater wouldn't go unappreciated for the truck.;)

Edited by Chris Keth, 20 November 2008 - 01:43 AM.

#4 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

I guess I was a bit confusing when I said what are the main essentials a DP needs. Seeing how I'm starting out doing Indie shorts and small time stuff, buying my own stuff, not able to rent stuff...what are good starting essentials be. I have the lights, the stands w/boom arm, small reflector and some CTB gels going to add CTO as well.

What would an Indie guy like me might want to add to their kit.

#5 Ralph Keyser

Ralph Keyser
  • Sustaining Members
  • 120 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

So, if we're talking zero budget, no crew indie shorts, the list of "essentials" can be pretty long. You'll probably develop your own ideas over time, but I always go about it from a "department" point of view. So, what do I need for camera, sound, electric, and grip? If it's a small enough indie, you get to worry about set decoration, props, wardrobe, etc. as well. The list could be pretty long, so that makes it hard to make suggestions.

In addition to Box's excellent book (which you must own), you might consider Uva's Grip Book and Doug Hart's camera assistant book.
I'd also recommend one of the excellent books on lighting.

Based completely on a opinion formed out of mid-air, it looks like grip stuff should be next on your list (nets, flags, etc.).

To the list of really essential, essentials - I'll add a Sharpie marker and those chemical handwarmer things.

#6 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Gaffers tape... Always need gaff tape.

Those reflective screens that are put on car windshields to block the sun and insulation panels are also good indie reflectors in case you need more.

Electricians gloves, a large tape measure like 100'. Lens cleaner. Compressed air cans. Dry erase markers for the slate.

And the list goes on.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

CineTape

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies