#1 Philippe Lignieres

Philippe Lignieres
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:29 AM

Help, everybody!

I bought a nice Filmo on ebay, I gently modified (reduced) the central screw which holds the turret to fit nice new C-mount lens (they are a bit larger) and now I see I cannot focus properly on infinite.

When I set the lens on "infinite", it is not perfect with my Cooke 75mm, a little more bad with the Cooke 25mm, and definetely crappy with the Computar 12,5.
I don't thik modification of central srew is for nothing in this problem. Turret is on her good place, with no more problems after than before.
All these lenses focuse properly with my Beaulieu super8, so I suppose the focusing Filmo device is shifted a little.

Anybody knows if I can fix it by myself, of who can fix it and where ?

With a lot of light, hyperfocal will supply proper focus, but I bought this marvellous "just as new" Filmo to film in very low light (1/40° sec. with f/1,4, who say better ?) like in old romance churches and so on, so I need to focus very precisely...

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:52 AM

This thread will help

http://www.cinematog...n...c=34919&hl=

Help, everybody!

I bought a nice Filmo on ebay, I gently modified (reduced) the central screw which holds the turret to fit nice new C-mount lens (they are a bit larger) and now I see I cannot focus properly on infinite.

When I set the lens on "infinite", it is not perfect with my Cooke 75mm, a little more bad with the Cooke 25mm, and definetely crappy with the Computar 12,5.
I don't thik modification of central srew is for nothing in this problem. Turret is on her good place, with no more problems after than before.
All these lenses focuse properly with my Beaulieu super8, so I suppose the focusing Filmo device is shifted a little.

With a lot of light, hyperfocal will supply proper focus, but I bought this marvellous "just as new" Filmo to film in very low light (1/40° sec. with f/1,4, who say better ?) like in old romance churches and so on, so I need to focus very precisely...

#3 Philippe Lignieres

Philippe Lignieres
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Stephen,

Yes, this thread is interesting.
To be more precise, image can be properly focused a little bit before infinity (as far as I can see in the focusing device).
And I noticed that I was clearly focused on 0,7/0,8 m for objects that were at about 2 meters (with the Cosmicar 12,5 mm). So it is clear there is a problem.
I don't think that the turret had been changed on this camera, or something else modifyed. And camera seem pretty new. Lenses are OK.

Of course I can burn a test roll, but I suppose what I can expect.
I suppose rather than this focusing device has been shiftted off.

So I can buy one of these Bell n'Howell repair manuals available on Ebay. If it is simple to fix.
Or I send the whole marvel to "the great man", but who?
As far as Visual Products can fix B&H Filmo (it doesn't seem so on their site), it is far from France. Great Britain would be less expensive. Anyway that's not the point, but the man who can fix it, or the best way to do it myself, if anybody think it is simple to do.
Really don't know what is the best to do.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

I wouldn't bother shooting a test roll until you get this problem fixed. Just like in the thread that Stephen referred you to, your flange focal depth is off. Depth of focus is more critical for wide lenses, which is why your 12.5mm is more noticeably out than the 75mm.

Your camera will need to be serviced by someone with the proper know-how and equipment to adjust and shim the lens mount. It is too precise for a DIY fix; we're talking hundredths of a millimeter precision. Perhaps someone on the board from closer to you can advise you on where to send it.

Edited by Chris Keth, 23 November 2008 - 04:45 PM.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:07 AM

Any film rental house should be able to fix your camera or tell who to go to if they cant.

Thanks Stephen,

Yes, this thread is interesting.
To be more precise, image can be properly focused a little bit before infinity (as far as I can see in the focusing device).
And I noticed that I was clearly focused on 0,7/0,8 m for objects that were at about 2 meters (with the Cosmicar 12,5 mm). So it is clear there is a problem.
I don't think that the turret had been changed on this camera, or something else modifyed. And camera seem pretty new. Lenses are OK.

Of course I can burn a test roll, but I suppose what I can expect.
I suppose rather than this focusing device has been shiftted off.

So I can buy one of these Bell n'Howell repair manuals available on Ebay. If it is simple to fix.
Or I send the whole marvel to "the great man", but who?
As far as Visual Products can fix B&H Filmo (it doesn't seem so on their site), it is far from France. Great Britain would be less expensive. Anyway that's not the point, but the man who can fix it, or the best way to do it myself, if anybody think it is simple to do.
Really don't know what is the best to do.

#6 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

It may be that only your focusing ground glass is off, which in my opinion is next to useless anyway. It's so small and dim that it's useable only when there is a lot of light, when you really don't need it. The ground glass sits behind the turret next to the taking lens and is independent of the gate. There is also the optics to it on the side of the camera(not the field of view viewfinder but the finder you look through to check focus). Check to see if that is moving at all.
If something's wrong with those parts your FFD might be ok. You can shoot and focus by tape. Off course if you turret is off, that will throw both the focus checker and FFD out of tolerence by the same amount. You may want to replace the original screw and see if that makes a difference.

#7 Philippe Lignieres

Philippe Lignieres
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Fixing the problem was very simple, in fact : critical focus has a small screww inside, so you can adapt to your own eyes...
Work absolutely fine at this time.
Wonderful camera !

#8 Michael Cleveland

Michael Cleveland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Help, everybody!

Much depends upon which Filmo you purchased, and exactly what you did to the central screw, and how the lenses are "larger". It's unlikely you could fix it yourself. Alan Gordon Enterprises in California bought up all the Filmo parts, so they may be able to help. You should also be aware that not all 1-inch threaded lenses are C-mount. There are early lenses out there in A and B mounts with the same thread but different mounting depths which are not interchangeable with C-mount. That could be the case with the Cooke lenses, but not with the Computar, so that may not be the issue. I can't tell you much more without details of the modification, and serial numbers of the lenses and camera, along with the specific Filmo model.

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products