Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hi,

I have just had three rolls of Vision 200T Super8 stock wetgate scanned at 1k resolution.
However, when I try to open these (.avi) files at home, quicktime just shows a blank screen (although is playing something). Importing the files into Final Cut and then trying to preview them gives me a 'General Error, Out of Memory' error message, even though I have 100Gb free on my hard drive, and dropping them into the timeline shows again, a black image which apparently needs rendering but does not register when I try to render it.

Any advice or suggestions very gratefully received

Matt

#2 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hi,

I have just had three rolls of Vision 200T Super8 stock wetgate scanned at 1k resolution.
However, when I try to open these (.avi) files at home, quicktime just shows a blank screen (although is playing something). Importing the files into Final Cut and then trying to preview them gives me a 'General Error, Out of Memory' error message, even though I have 100Gb free on my hard drive, and dropping them into the timeline shows again, a black image which apparently needs rendering but does not register when I try to render it.

Matt

Matt,

What codec is contained within the AVI file? My guess is that they wrapped cineon files in an AVI wrapper. I am not quite sure how to skin this cat. My guess would be try and using an intermediate program (After Effects, Shake?) and try and rewrap these files into a different wrapper, or even transcode them.

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

Matt

It's probably just that QT doesn't like that flavour of AVI. Try using something less discerning to open it, say VLC ??

jb

#4 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:21 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. As you suggest, the files open with no problem with VLC. I'll do what you say and try to export the files out of After Effects into another format. (I tried this already with Quicktime Pro, but it just say's 'export failed')

Thanks again

Matt

#5 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. As you suggest, the files open with no problem with VLC. I'll do what you say and try to export the files out of After Effects into another format. (I tried this already with Quicktime Pro, but it just say's 'export failed')

Thanks again

Matt

If you have (or buy) gluetools, you can export out of after effects to .dpx files. If you have a Kona 3 Card, you can export out 10Bit 4:4:4 files. Or you can just go to 4:2:2 uncompressed (or prorez!) and work like that.

#6 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

If you have (or buy) gluetools, you can export out of after effects to .dpx files. If you have a Kona 3 Card, you can export out 10Bit 4:4:4 files. Or you can just go to 4:2:2 uncompressed (or prorez!) and work like that.

Mike,

What's the latest news on your project?

#7 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

Mike,

What's the latest news on your project?

So not to hijack the thread... basically, I rebuilt my edit with the self contained 10bit 4:4:4 RGB LOG files. It has made life very easy for me. My stance on Gluetools is this: It is a GREAT GREAT plugin for full raster work (1920x1080, 2K et al) but when dealing with odd frame sizes such as mine, things get complicated a bit. I have to add, the complications are of no fault of Gluetools. I have a lot of mixed media footage (some Red, some Sony EX3, some Phantom HD) so keeping everything in the RGB LOG (except the Red and EX3) file format has streamlined my workflow considerably.

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport