#1 Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

When rendering out quicktimes from the Raw files am I limited myself in any way by choosing a particular colorspace? Ive just been leaving it as redcoderaw since thats how the film was shot, but looking at the menu today I realized I really know very little about the colorspace options.

For what its worth I'm not rendering out the whole film, just some shots here and there, and they probably wont end being much bigger than internet size, but I'm still curious about the implications vs. say, rendering out in rec709.

#2 Matthew Rogers

Matthew Rogers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

When rendering out quicktimes from the Raw files am I limited myself in any way by choosing a particular colorspace? Ive just been leaving it as redcoderaw since thats how the film was shot, but looking at the menu today I realized I really know very little about the colorspace options.

For what its worth I'm not rendering out the whole film, just some shots here and there, and they probably wont end being much bigger than internet size, but I'm still curious about the implications vs. say, rendering out in rec709.

Kinda, but it mattered more when you were shooting rather than during rendering out. Redspace tweaks the image so it looks more like a "final" image on your monitor while shooting. The problem with that is you are more likely to open up too much and clip your image. I've found in my own shooting that shooting in REC709 is better because it gives you more latitude in post. I would play around with REC709 and Redspace to see if 709 gives you more to play with (I don't know if you are doing more color correction after you render out.)

Matthew

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:51 PM

Looking at the CIE 1931 chart, 709 is one of the smallest color spaces, along with SMPTE-C and PAL/SECAM. They all seem to have a yellowish green primary.

-- J.S.

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Ritter Battery